Options

How to get a raise in your salery performance review.

genderdudegenderdude Banned Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
So we have end of year performance review here and i was wondering how I could get my salary increased.

Could everyone share their experience here.

I mean what stuff will be determined and how will they measure everything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    battlesebattlese Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For starters you need to spell salary correctly in your thread title. :)

Other than that...it really shouldn't be too difficult. Ask yourself are you a hard worker? Do you need to be told what to do or are you self motivated? Are you efficient in what you do? Do you accept any task given to you or do you say "that's not my job".

I've worked with many people who believe they work between 10-2. The rest of the time is their wake-up and wind-down time. Then they wonder why they didn't get a raise/promotion.

I just had to let a co-worker go because he would only do the easiest things I could find. I gave him a project to test our software on Windows 7 so we'd know what software was not compatible. He finished the project and we started rolling out Windows 7. I had users come back saying their software wasn't working. Sure enough it wasn't compatible. When I asked my co-worker if he tested it he said no. I asked why and his response was "it was too hard".

I was once told you have to bring more value to the company than what they are paying you. It's not a bad idea to keep track of anything you do to help the company financially. For instance when I started every pc build was from scratch. It took roughly 4 1/2 hrs from start to finish. I went to my boss and asked why they weren't imaging pc's. Basically he told me nobody knew how to do it. I implemented it and now can knock out a clean build in 20 minutes saving the company just over 4 hours of my labor on each pc build.

Of course nothing else matters if the company simply doesn't have the means financially to give you a raise. Many companies are just getting by so take that into consideration.

Good luck!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Out perform. Done.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    battlese wrote: »

Other than that...it really shouldn't be too difficult. Ask yourself are you a hard worker? Do you need to be told what to do or are you self motivated? Are you efficient in what you do? Do you accept any task given to you or do you say "that's not my job".

I've worked with many people who believe they work between 10-2. The rest of the time is their wake-up and wind-down time. Then they wonder why they didn't get a raise/promotion.

I just had to let a co-worker go because he would only do the easiest things I could find. I gave him a project to test our software on Windows 7 so we'd know what software was not compatible. He finished the project and we started rolling out Windows 7. I had users come back saying their software wasn't working. Sure enough it wasn't compatible. When I asked my co-worker if he tested it he said no. I asked why and his response was "it was too hard".

I was once told you have to bring more value to the company than what they are paying you. It's not a bad idea to keep track of anything you do to help the company financially. For instance when I started every pc build was from scratch. It took roughly 4 1/2 hrs from start to finish. I went to my boss and asked why they weren't imaging pc's. Basically he told me nobody knew how to do it. I implemented it and now can knock out a clean build in 20 minutes saving the company just over 4 hours of my labor on each pc build.

Of course nothing else matters if the company simply doesn't have the means financially to give you a raise. Many companies are just getting by so take that into consideration.

Good luck!

I could not have said it better. Well done!

+1
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, if the end of review is coming up soon you've probably done all you can at this point. You just have to perform all year and contribute.

What will be judged, and how its measured, for the review will differ from company to company. That's usually something that will be covered at the beginning of the year. If you have boss that's worth a damn anyway. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options

Good luck!

If it is not my job to do so then i say hey its not my job and i wont do it, thats my attitude, its hard to say no but everyday I am learning bit by bit how to say no because I just want to do what I am paid to do. I mean for an example if a user comes up to me and says hey please help with my Phone connect to pc i say no we do not support phones, i mean why should i help the user when i have other things to do, if i help the user then i will be slow at what i am spose to do, its not worth it.
  • Options
    battlesebattlese Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    genderdude wrote: »
    If it is not my job to do so then i say hey its not my job and i wont do it, thats my attitude, its hard to say no but everyday I am learning bit by bit how to say no because I just want to do what I am paid to do. I mean for an example if a user comes up to me and says hey please help with my Phone connect to pc i say no we do not support phones, i mean why should i help the user when i have other things to do, if i help the user then i will be slow at what i am spose to do, its not worth it.

Sure that's one way to look at it. The other side is the company can say "You want a raise but you're not willing to go above & beyond your typical duties. And you want more money?" It's a give & take situation. You want to take but not give.

My department wasn't supposed to support cell phones but when my CEO walked in with his new iPhone and handed it to me to configure do you think I said "That's not my job!"? Hardly. Actually I said "Since this is the first time I've ever touched an iPhone it may take me a little while. I'll bring it to you when it's done."

Just curious how many hours a week do you normally work?
  • Options

WOW....

At least you are being honest, but do you seriously think an employer will find value in what you do for long with an attitude such as this? What if you needed an extra hand one day (or week) on a project and the rest of your team also held that same attitude? No one would lend you a hand, and that may be what you want, but it is not your company and not really your decision.

Aside from the attitude, I would take the time to improve my grammar and spelling if I were you, it would help at least solidify that you are capable of written communication. Basically, don't give the company multiple reasons to want you off their team. YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My department wasn't supposed to support cell phones but when my CEO walked in with his new iPhone and handed it to me to configure do you think I said "That's not my job!"? Hardly. Actually I said "Since this is the first time I've ever touched an iPhone it may take me a little while. I'll bring it to you when it's done."

Sorry for the thread hijack but...

When my CEO (and CFO) came in with their iPhones and wanted me to support them I said I've never worked with one and if they wanted proper support I would need to learn how they work. I had my new iPhone the next day. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Edit: never mind, got beaten to it :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    <snip>
    I implemented it and now can knock out a clean build in 20 minutes saving the company just over 4 hours of my labor on each pc build.

Let's just hope YOU spell labour right the next time you mention it to your boss in written form :p
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Let's just hope YOU spell labour right the next time you mention it to your boss in written form :p

It can be spelled either way:

Labor vs. labour - Spelling - Grammarist
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It can be spelled either way:

Labor vs. labour - Spelling - Grammarist

He's saying that because he's Brit btw...
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

I went above and beyond what was expected of me at my job. Took on responsibilities that none of the others in my position would. Took every single chance I could to learn something new from the guys who had been here longer. Demonstrated my desire to perform by consistently helping with the overtime. It took me just 2 weeks over 6 months to get a promotion (which includes additional duties) and a 10% pay increase. When I hit the year mark like you are, i've already been told that if I continue to perform at my level, I can expect another move up the ladder.

Saying "it's not my job" isn't the way to make those kinds of things happen.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    WOW....

At least you are being honest, but do you seriously think an employer will find value in what you do for long with an attitude such as this? What if you needed an extra hand one day (or week) on a project and the rest of your team also held that same attitude? No one would lend you a hand, and that may be what you want, but it is not your company and not really your decision.

Aside from the attitude, I would take the time to improve my grammar and spelling if I were you, it would help at least solidify that you are capable of written communication. Basically, don't give the company multiple reasons to want you off their team. YMMV

Agree.

To each his own. I've seen many good techies get burned by this attitude. Keep in mind that there is a big difference between going the extra mile and just being abused by people assigning you all kinds of stuff that you are not responsible for. The scenario you present looks more like an "extra mile" type. If a user comes to me and asks for help with personal stuff, why not? A few minutes here and there will pay back later on in two ways. First: karma. Second: people talk. They can say "yeah, genderdude is great. He helped me with my phone that one time even though he wasn't supposed to". On the other hand, if you flat out dismiss then you'll be "I don't know what's wrong with that (insert demeaning term) genderdude. He did not help me that one time". It doesn't hurt taking a minute or two to help users, management or whoever. Again, I am not talking about spending all day reformatting a personal laptop, just a few minutes here and there. All this stuff eventually makes it to management will have some impact on your evaluation.

I am positive that if you ask here over 90% of us will be "above and beyond" types. Heck, one time I even cleaned a toilet because the lady was out sick for two weeks. I survived and was seen as a hero.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    He's saying that because he's Brit btw...

TECHNICALLY I am German :p
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

Why would a company pay you more money when you don't want to do more work? That's the kind of attitude reserved for people that barely want to hold on to their jobs.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry for the thread hijack but...

When my CEO (and CFO) came in with their iPhones and wanted me to support them I said I've never worked with one and if they wanted proper support I would need to learn how they work. I had my new iPhone the next day. :)

Beautiful!

+1 rep for that stroke of genius.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556

While I see where you're coming from, I think this is one of the reason why a lot of users are negative towards IT. From your post, what you're essentially saying is that "I have more important things to do than to deal with your issue." Whether or not that's what you meant, that's what it's coming across as.

I rarely, if ever flat out say "no" to a user asking for help. It may not be in my area of expertise or even in the job description, but if they need help with anything relating to IT/technology, I'll help. For example, I had a user stop by the office today asking if I could help her with the configuration of an ipad app. Seeing as my title is "Network Administrator", do you think that helping her configure the ipad was in my job description? No! Did I help her? Absolutely.
  • Options
    you guys also think its important to get a degree that doesn't reflect your role? like if your a net engineer getting a degree in software engineering or in Science?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    you guys also think its important to get a degree that doesn't reflect your role? like if your a net engineer getting a degree in software engineering or in Science?

Getting a degree is another way of showing your employer that you're working hard, but work attitude comes first.

If you want to be a network engineer, then I'd take a Computer Science BSc, and take a certification like CCNA then get a networking job to get experience...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    oh so instead of you know labbing and running vms and learning on your own and getting certs and volunteering at companies for experience, is it better to head to the college route?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    oh so instead of you know labbing and running vms and learning on your own and getting certs and volunteering at companies for experience, is it better to head to the college route?

It's better to do both, get a degree and work/volunteer part time if you can. Whatever you can afford
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Yeah the best route is all 3 options. College, certs, and experience, coupled with a positive outlook and a genuine desire to learn and help. As for the distance education and cert route, I can't recommend WGU highly enough. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.html
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Yeah the best route is all 3 options. College, certs, and experience, coupled with a positive outlook and a genuine desire to learn and help. As for the distance education and cert route, I can't recommend WGU highly enough. http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu.html

I would add a fourth element: soft skills. Communication, leadership traits, conflict resolution, flexibility, team player, positive attitude and others definitely play an important role. You can have the college/certs/experience trifecta but if you lack soft skills your options will be limited.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Yes. Labbing, certing and volunteering it what those without a degree are forced to do. You should still do some of that if you are at college but not at the expense of your grades.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□

There is a lot more to having a job than technical execution. You have to be able to effectively communicate with people to understand the requirements of your job and to let them know your status. Also, if you want to move beyond the lowest tier, you will have to start learning about cost, return on investment, and it wouldn't be bad to have a general study of all of the basic departments that exist. I personally think a BS in Information Systems would help a lot more than Computer Science for that very reason: it is a business degree with a technical focus. Plus, you have to do work in your job, and completing a degree shows that you can do work on a consistent basis and plan it out; maybe it wasn't perfect, but you got from point A to Z.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□

This is why you will be stuck on the helpdesk for the rest of your career.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really comes down to just asking for it. Of course you need to be able to justify that increase by your performance in the last year. Companies say that they want to reward you and motivate you, but #1 on their minds is the budget. They don't have your best interest at heart. If they say no, you can either drop it and continue with whatever they gave you, or update your resume and see if somebody else will pay what you think your worth.

Just recently I got an internal offer. When asked how I felt about it I said something along the lines of "You know I was really expecting it to be closer to $xx,xxx. The woman from HR went on about how they had carefully considered it and that was the number that they came up with and asked if I would like her to go back to the hiring manager. I agreed to take the job either way. A couple days later I had a new offer that was slightly higher. It doesn't hurt to try.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    buzzkill wrote: »
    This is why you will be stuck on the helpdesk for the rest of your career.

who said I am in helpdesk icon_lol.gif

By the way I am one of those few people who have skipped helpdesk and got into a straight engineering level role without the climbing the slow rope, because of my attitude and I knew what I wanted to do and plus I had a lot of skills and brains.
  • Options
    who said I am in helpdesk icon_lol.gif

By the way I am one of those few people who have skipped helpdesk and got into a straight engineering level role without the climbing the slow rope, because of my attitude and I knew what I wanted to do and plus I had a lot of skills and brains.

So why all the drama?

If you truly knew what you wanted and got exactly what you wanted, would you be here complaining that you are not making enough money? Ideally, when one steps in their 'perfect job' it not only is exactly using their talents, but also challenges them to learn more, and pays them appropriately so that raises are a mere surprise and gift, not expected.

:2cents:
    Plantwiz
    _____