Options

MS in Science, Technology, and Society?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been looking into graduate school and I am 98% sure I will be going B&M. In speaking with a professor about eventually getting a PhD, it seems brick and mortar is the way to go. Now, I have a BS in Computing and Security Technology (concentration in Computing Security) and while I've looked at Masters in Information Assurance (or whatever they choose to call their security programs) I can't help but think it could be a little redundant. Now I realize that at the Masters level we are talking about a whole new ball game, but at the same time I want to set myself apart from all of those who have Masters in IT or IA. So enter the MS in Science, Technology, and Society. The degree seems to be very policy oriented and from my view most of the required security in place will come from some sort of policy. I figure that with my continued certification, experience, and at home reading in information security that I could stay on top of the newest threats/best practices. Also, a chance to perhaps research and dare I say create public policy in regards to information security would be pretty cool.

It would definitely let my resume stand out and is probably a good conversation starter in an interview. Thoughts?

Master of Science in Science, Technology, and Society - This is the program I was looking at
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You said earlier you wanted Information Security, I think you should go for it. Why go for a general computer science degree ?

You can get a PhD from a B&M university without being a full time student, you can do few visits and stay in touch with your proff. You just need to find a doctor willing to accept your research proposal.

I think, as a first step, do the MSc in Information Security, then think about the PhD later. PhD is all about the topic you choose for your research. Good luck
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com