Options

I was a biological science major but have decided to switch to IT? Advice please!

mnaqvi1mnaqvi1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I use to be a bio major but realize my real passion is in IT even though I have limited experience. I think I would like to take the IT security route but I have touched a little on programming and what not and I would like to avoid that. I just wanted some advice in regards to how I would go about getting an intry level position in the IT field. I heard certifications are really important, which certifications should I get started with to get a position anywhere.

A little off topic but I was debating on whether I should take IT security route or Networking & Database route. Any suggestions in terms of the future of these fields. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mypcrepairguymypcrepairguy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in the same position that you find yourself in.
    The best advice that I can give you is to complete your biology degree and then pursue the IT security route via 2yr or additional post grad education from your university. The reason for this is you will become instantly more marketable to bio-tech / pharma companies due to your unique skill set.

I wish I did this, rather then what I am doing now. Essentially I got bored with my Biology degree plan (pre-med) and dropped out of college to pursue IT. I achieved several certs and got employed at a bio-tech company. I had to give up this position as my wife started a residency program on the other side of the country. Now I find myself in a position where employers value a degree over certs / experience. Luckily I discovered WGU and I am 1yr away from a BS in IT: Networks design and management.
    (Start date 1/01/2011) BSIT: Network Design and Management

Units to Complete: (33)
    CLC1, WFV1(LOL), AKV1, TPV1(wip), AHV1, AIV1, AJV1

Transfered Units: (34)
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1,

Completed Units by Certification: (30)
    TEV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1

:study:currently reading: CompTIA Project+ Study Guide (Exam PK0-003) by Kim Heldman and William Heldman
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Biochemist here as well, decided against med school (thanks to organic chemistry) and didn't want to work in a lab, so I thought I would take a break and try IT before going back to law school. I got my first real IT job in 1997, first MS cert in 1998, and never looked back. At this point in my career my experience and reputation trump all my certifications and nobody cares I studied biology. Honestly, a comp sci degree earned in 1996 is as useless for what I do today as biology degree.

Lacking the comp sci background, I relied on certifications to prove my knowledge. I more than doubled my salary in 6 months as I completed my NT4 MCSE, but things were different then. Now you should start with the A+ because that is a filter requirement for almost all helpdesk positions, move on to a desktop cert like Windows 7 and then see what interests you. You need some experience before you decide if you want to pursue security, database, networking or server admin as a career.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just keep in mind that the best security folks are proficient as programmers/sysadmins/netadmins, depending on what their focus is.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better get studying. Also be sure to get as much hands on as possible! I'm still entry level (helpdesk) but I feel that I am making progress and I've learned a lot in the process. Would not have gotten this gig if I didn't have A+ for sure. Certs aren't some magic way to a sure job though.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens