Options

Messaging (Exchange/BES/OCS) Admin needed in Cleveland OH area.

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
There's a 1 year contract position open on my team. The position will not be working directly for my company, it will be through some contract agency called "The Bartech Group".

We've been interviewing potential candidates for a few weeks now. Only 1 of them turned out to be even remotely qualified, and he accepted another position, so we're still looking. I thought I'd see if anyone here is interested.

Here is what "The Bartech Group" as been putting out there for us...
Title:
Enterprise Messaging-Helpdesk Analyst

Description:

This role will be part of a global team tasked with providing messaging services for Eaton’s 55,000+ user environment. This includes design, administration and support of Eaton’s messaging environment (including mobile and unified messaging infrastructure) on a worldwide basis.

Provide level 2 and 3 infrastructure support for
• Microsoft Exchange/Outlook/OWA
• Microsoft Office Communication Server (OCS) Instant messaging
• Blackberry and Windows Mobile
• Unified Messaging and RightFax
• Secure Messaging via PGP and ZixMail

-Consistently utilize key ITIL processes (problem management, change management, configuration management) in support of the environment
-Perform messaging integration activities related to business acquisitions and divestitures
-Establish processes and documentation in order for Service Desk to provide level 1 messaging support.
-Serve as a consultative resource for technologies that interface with email.

Education and experience requirements:

- Bachelor's Degree required

Now let me give you the insider info on the position. If you apply for it, I am one of 3 or 4 people you will be interviewing with. I ask a lot of the technical questions. This contract position is to back-fill for me on my team so that I can focus more on our Exchange 2010 migration.

Don't let "Helpdesk" in the title scare you away, this is NOT a Helpdesk job. This is a mid to senior level position. The word "Helpdesk" isn't in the official job title at all. We had this position filled for a couple months, and the title was "Senior Analyst" IIRC. The person who was in it found permanent employment, and decided to pursue it.

The environment is at 60,000 mailboxes on the Exchange side now. The company has 70,000+ employees worldwide, plus thousands of contractors.

Exchange 2003 experience is a MUST. This is where you should have the most in-depth knowledge and experience. If you've worked with a clustered setup before, that's a HUGE plus. The more mailboxes you've handled, the better. We have ~36 Exchange 2003 servers right now, 13 of them are cluster pairs. Any Exchange 2010 experience would be considered a bonus, but you will be focused on 2003.

Blackberry Enterprise Server experience is a must have. We have about a dozen BESs with over 6000 Blackberry users.

Instant Messaging experience doesn't have to be with OCS. Any back-end (server side) experience supporting Instant Messaging with any competing products will do. Again, the more users you've supported, the better. We have a dozen or so OCS servers right now with around 12,000 users.

Mobile device (ActiveSync) support, specifically iPhone and Windows Mobile/Windows Phone devices, a huge plus.

Fax server experience doesn't have to be RightFax specific. An understanding of how fax systems work, and experience with any competing product would be find.

PGP/Zixmail knowledge and experience really isn't important at all, not sure why they even have it on there.

Knowledge of handling tickets through a system like Remedy is a must. It doesn't have to be Remedy, that's just what we use, so if it is, that'd be a big plus. Mostly looking for candidates to understand prioritizing work based on a trouble ticket queue.

Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must.

The Bachelors Degree probably isn't really required. (I don't have one, most of the candidates we've interviewed so far have had them on their resumes, but education has never come up during any of the interviews).

We very rarely deal with end users (VIPs are exceptions), and we don't work client side issues. This is primarily server side support. When we have to deal people outside our team at all, it is usually with either lower level support, or other platform teams.

Hours for the job at 8am to 5pm Eastern. You must either live in the Cleveland OH area, or be willing to relocate to the Cleveland OH area for the duration of the contract. The facility you'll be required to work at is in the suburb of Eastlake. It's a nice facility, spacious cubicles, many with window views, and a cafeteria on premises. Great place to work, nice people there too.

If you're interested, and qualified, PM me, and I'll give you my work e-mail address so you can send me your resume and availability. I'll pass qualified resumes on to my manager, who will have the contract agency (Bartech) get in touch with you. We're looking to fill this position ASAP. It's pretty much a single phone interview deal. Once we've made it through all potential candidates, one lucky one will be asked to start ASAP. We'd like to interview as many more candidates as possible before the end of this week (10/28/11). We really need someone that can not only start ASAP, but can "hit the ground running".

This is a great opportunity for the right person. I hope someone here can get it.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Too bad I live in Denver, I would destroy this position. AND I have zix experience...sadly.
  • Options
    Too bad I live in Denver, I would destroy this position. AND I have zix experience...sadly.

If it was a permanent position with my company, remote work would probably be an option (I work from home and I live NW of Chicago). However since it's only a 1 year contract, they are being really strict with the must work on site requirement.

Although if the rumors I heard today turn out to be true, a permanent position on my team may be opening up soon, in addition to this 1 year contract position.

I really don't know why they have Zix listed. I have Zix experience from my last job, and so far have not had to touch it at this one. If the company even has Zix boxes, they aren't one of the ~80 servers my team is responsible for.
  • Options

Our lack of qualified candidates either in the Cleveland area or willing to come to that area brought up a discussion this morning... We may be opening this up to allow someone to work from one of our remote facilities (which we have all over the world).

I'm trying to confirm this, it looks like we might have facilities in Aurora CO and Broomfield CO. IIRC those are both suburbs of Denver?

If I get confirmation that we do in fact have facilities in that area, and are going to open this up... are you really interested?

UPDATE: I did confirm that we have facilities in Littleton, Aurora, Broomfield, Lakewood, Lafayette, and Boulder. Those are all our Denver area locations.
  • Options
    Confirmed, we're opening this up to allow remote work from anyone of our facilities in the US. So if you're qualified and interested, let me know the area you live in, and I can see if we have a facility in that area.

Phone interviews will be scheduled ASAP for all qualified candidates.