Need Advice

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
I have bought the books and the CBT nuggets on the CCDA exam. I need a suggestion on the best way to study for this exam also I need to know of some good practice exams (perferably free). I have a background in building automation and know allot about IT but this will be my first Cisco exam as I am moving from BAS to IT. Oh btw, I need to get this certification in the next 1-1.5 months.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

-Phil

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Welcome aboard!

Thank you, moving into IT is quite a change for me.
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome!
    If you need this in 1.5 months and this is your first Cisco Certification doubt that will happen. You need to have your CCNA as it is required to take the CCDA exam.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Welcome!
    If you need this in 1.5 months and this is your first Cisco Certification doubt that will happen. You need to have your CCNA as it is required to take the CCDA exam.

Where are you reading that? Per Cisco's website-

CCDA Prerequisites

There are no prerequisite certifications for CCDA, however knowledge at the CCNA level and the CCNP level for switching is recommended to pass the CCDA exam

I understanding switches, routers, subnetting, OSI, TCP/IP Stack and the Physical 802 mediums. Where I am weak is how to tie all this together. If the exam is simply memorization I know most of the CCDA information. Where I need to study is how to implement what I know. Being that I have no idea what the questions on the test are like I have no idea what method of study is best.

-Phil
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    The best study method is the one you are most comfortable with, whether it be reading books, watching videos, or instructor led classes.

As far as test questions you could purchase the Boson CCDA practice test they are great.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Where are you reading that? Per Cisco's website-

There are no prerequisite certifications for CCDA, however knowledge at the CCNA level and the CCNP level for switching is recommended to pass the CCDA exam

I understanding switches, routers, subnetting, OSI, TCP/IP Stack and the Physical 802 mediums. Where I am weak is how to tie all this together. If the exam is simply memorization I know most of the CCDA information. Where I need to study is how to implement what I know. Being that I have no idea what the questions on the test are like I have no idea what method of study is best.

-Phil

Woah really, I just checked and your right for some reason i thought CCNA was a prerequisite. In that case good luck. If you bought the OFG CCDA study off those questions as they are similiar to the CCDA. Don't worry about the questions you'll do fine if you study hard and put in the work.
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    that's interesting i thought CCNA was a prerequisite for CCDA. I have the Cisco Press book and thought it would be low lying fruit to read the book and knock out the exam. Over the years I've learned to never underestimate a Cisco exam ... Is it that simple of an exam?
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCDP requires CCNA...

Valid Cisco CCDA and CCNA certifications or a Cisco CCIE certification in any track can act as a prerequisite.