Options

How many of you here got your first job in I.T without experience or certs or degree?

13»

Comments

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    0 certs, 0 exp ... I was volunteered to work with 2 others to build a web page for our unit back in 1998. All because I owned a pc. Didn't think at the time it would be something I would be doing after the military.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started out in 2004 with no degree, but I had a MCSE - landed a help desk job. Now, I'm interviewing for Sr. Security Engineer positions.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my first I.T. job with no certs, and no degree. I worked at FedEx with the sister of the manager of the help desk at a local hospital, and she passed along my name to get an interview. The time I put in there, and the self-learning I did on my own got me to my next gig, and the rest is history.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    interesting thread. I'm going to add my 2 cents bit I am guessing that I am the oldest one here so my experience may not be indicative of real life today. My first IT job was in 1991. No degree or certs. I made 20k USD. But I do belief that in the USA, hard work and focus does pay off. I was able to move from tech support to sysadmin to software engineering to infrastructure engineering to operations over the last 20 years.One other thing, I always stayed in IT in financial servces money management industry so its not just about IT but how it applies to the industriy that I work in. I make substantially more today (about 11x) but I do believe its because of my domain knowlege.