Options

A few questions about going to college for IT/CS

aheinzmanaheinzman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I think I am going to go to University of Cincinnati. It seems like I should have a basic understanding of many of the key concepts that go along with this field. So what are some things I can teach myself before I go to college next fall? I love computers and I think I am good with them and I have a basic understanding and I usually can fix problems with them. but what are some actual things I can teach myself like a language or something? I was thinking about learning Java or C++.
Also do you think I should go to college for Information Technology- Networks and Systems or Computer Science. I want to be a network administrator at some point.
And this is just something I am curious about; what do you think is the girl to guy ratio for IT/CS majors. I hear it is male dominated but more and more females are getting in.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    aheinzman wrote: »
    I think I am going to go to University of Cincinnati. It seems like I should have a basic understanding of many of the key concepts that go along with this field. So what are some things I can teach myself before I go to college next fall? I love computers and I think I am good with them and I have a basic understanding and I usually can fix problems with them. but what are some actual things I can teach myself like a language or something? I was thinking about learning Java or C++.
    Also do you think I should go to college for Information Technology- Networks and Systems or Computer Science. I want to be a network administrator at some point.
    And this is just something I am curious about; what do you think is the girl to guy ratio for IT/CS majors. I hear it is male dominated but more and more females are getting in.

If you have a knack for picking up things like programming/scripting languages, then you will not necessarily have to know anything going into it...but of course it'd be great to understand the concepts behind computer languages, specifically Java and the C's, like you mentioned...this is where most CS programs start you at.

I almost switched into CompSci but had absolutely no interest in writing C++ programs on a blank sheet of paper for tests...so after the 2nd test I opted out of the program...I'm not a programmer by nature anyways. If you want to be a Network Admin, go into an ISDS/IT-designed curriculum...as noted, CS will be programming-oriented.

And, the girl:guy ratio decreases every year as people drop...beginning of the program might be 10:1, and end might be 50:1.

Edit: There will be much more girls in an ISDS/IT major...5:1 and 20:1 estimates, referencing above.
  • Options
    XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Computer Science will be focused more on learning programming fundamentals, theory, algorithms, and more.

Most IT degrees aren't focused on that at all. It seems like a lot of IT degrees still vary dramatically from school to school.

A Computer Science degree will give you a good credential to have on your resume if you do go into the IT field later. You can also use it to join hybrid jobs where you need to code applications and work inside of a network environment.

I can't speak much to your IT degree since I am not familiar with the curriculum.