Options

Any Security Admins out there?

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
I'm nearing the completion of my CCNP, and I'm thinking about CCNP:Security. I don't plan on specializing in security, but I'm sure the knowledge picked up in the CCNP security track would help me wherever I go. I was just curious has to what a "Security Admin" do on a day-to-day basis? I have this image in my head with a guy sitting in front of 4 monitors, just sniffing traffic on the network...

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The job of a security admin differs from place to place and usually only found in bigger organizations. Their general duties are those of a sysadmin but with a focus on security.

My buddy who is a Security Engineer tells me that the move from a sysadmin to a security admin is usually a lateral move due to the overlap in those roles
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In a word "Meetings". That is what I have come to know from my experience in the security field. Not saying they are boring by any means. Things I have done on any given day include writing/editing company policies, network design/redesign, VPN systems upgrade, hard drive cloning and file inspection, auditing, penetration testing, patch management, incident response, new product testing and last but not least report writing. Update the image in your head to having the results of said packet scans sent as an email to your blackberry instead of the screen in front of you. Along with every other system that monitors the infrastructure. It can be a lot of fun and very fulfilling when you think of all the things you have a hand in doing.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)