How much experience would you suggest before attempting RHCSA and RHCE?

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I know a lot of people say you should have a good amount of experience before you attempt these exams. How hard would they be for someone with 6 months of work experience? I know it depends on the person but still any advice would be nice.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I know a lot of people say you should have a good amount of experience before you attempt these exams. How hard would they be for someone with 6 months of work experience? I know it depends on the person but still any advice would be nice.

Usually anything in the range of 2 yrs is good, and it'd be helpful if the experience is in Red Hat system administration. Check the prep guide, and see the topics, how familiar are you with the topics ?

Start with RHCSA. Even if you have long experience, Red Hat certs need a decent amount of preparation, and preparing for the exam is a good experience since you will be dealing with many areas practically. I say go for it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I bought the RHCSA/ RHCE 6th edition and Im going to use that as my bible for the next couple of months
    Thanks for the advice. I bought the RHCSA/ RHCE 6th edition and Im going to use that as my bible for the next couple of months

Good choice ! Go for it :) on my blog, I sometimes post some RHCE practice material. Let me know if there's a specific topic you need help with, I can help you with examples

Good luck icon_thumright.gif

I'm trying to install KVM but its not in Add/Remove Software > Virtualization> client or platform. How can I install KVM (Im using SL)?
    I'm trying to install KVM but its not in Add/Remove Software > Virtualization> client or platform. How can I install KVM (Im using SL)?

During install time, use this procedure:
    6.3. Installing KVM with a new Red Hat Enterprise Linux installation

If you finished your installation, then you need to install the proper packages (using yum):

CentOS / Redhat: Install KVM Virtualization Software

Do I need to have RHEL 6 to use KVM?
    Do I need to have RHEL 6 to use KVM?

no you don't, but the exam is on RHEL 6, so you should practice on that :)

I just bought the RHEL academic server. I'm kind of confused on how to install it. I'll work on it tonight..
    I just bought the RHEL academic server. I'm kind of confused on how to install it. I'll work on it tonight..

I've never tried this one before, I usually practice with RHEL (our company has it), and most people practice with CentOS.

Enjoy the learning experience :)

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's just regular RHEL but with academic pricing ($60 last I checked).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    It's just regular RHEL but with academic pricing ($60 last I checked).

That is correct.

Unixguy,

I finally have red hat installed but it wont allow me to download virtual manager from the add/remove software or command line. When I try to install it from the add/remove software area..it says " Transaction error: An unspecified transaction error has occurred, more information is ava. in the detailed report....glibc-2.12-1.25.el6_1.3.i686 requires glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6_1.3

what does that mean?
    That is correct.

Unixguy,

I finally have red hat installed but it wont allow me to download virtual manager from the add/remove software or command line. When I try to install it from the add/remove software area..it says " Transaction error: An unspecified transaction error has occurred, more information is ava. in the detailed report....glibc-2.12-1.25.el6_1.3.i686 requires glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6_1.3

what does that mean?

As far as I know, you shouldn't install it using the "add/remove software". There's a chapter on how to configure "yum" to install software, you need to do that BEFORE you can install software packages. Don't try to add software using the Add/Remove software. You need to configure "yum", the error message you got means that there are package dependency, which can be resolved by configuring "yum". Start with the topics from the beginning.
    5.3. Configuring Yum and Yum Repositories

Or you can do it during install time using this procedure:
    6.3.*Installing KVM with a new Red Hat Enterprise Linux installation

yum should basically work out of the box, the system just needs to be registered for the default RHN repos to be accessible. Did you register the system with RHN yet? You can do this with:
    rhn_register

Once the the system is registered with RHN, run:
    yum groupinstall "Virtualization*"

The required packages should be downloaded from the default RHN repos and installed.
    MentholMoose
    I did register my subscription.

I was able to d/l some other stuff from add/remove software relating to KVM but not the actual virtual manager.

I've tried yum groupinstall KVM
    yum install virt-manager (and the other 5 or 6 that were in the groupinstall)

**I thought yum works out of the box with red hat?
    I did register my subscription.

I was able to d/l some other stuff from add/remove software relating to KVM but not the actual virtual manager.

I've tried yum groupinstall KVM
    yum install virt-manager (and the other 5 or 6 that were in the groupinstall)

**I thought yum works out of the box with red hat?

if you have RHN (which you do ) and you're connected to Internet, then yum should work out of the box, but honestly speaking I've never used RHN before, so usually I configure a yum server, and then attach my client to that yum server. If you still not sure how to do that, then I suggest you install KVM during install time...

You need to copy and paste error the error... THE ENTIRE ERROR. Run the yum command I posted and if it doesn't work, copy the entire output and paste it into the thread. All you've pasted so far is one line which looks like a dependency error, but without the entire output we can only guess as to why there is such an error.

Is this RHEL installation on a physical machine or a VM? Have you verified that it meets the requirements for running KVM?
    MentholMoose
    I reinstalled the system and now virtual manager works..so I dont know what happened the 1st time I installed RHEL.
    Another problem..I'm trying to setup a basic server VM.

I'm having a problem installing the RHEL in the VM. The only way I was able to install RHEL on my laptop was to burn the boot.iso on a CD and burn the binary dvd onto a DVD. I 1st put the CD w/ boot.iso in..after the system is done with that CD it asked for the installation DVD..so I put that in..and everything worked fine.

But with the VM it doesnt allow you to eject, so I cant put in my 2nd DVD.

Then I tried to start the VM with the boot.iso and have the binary DVD in the player..so when the system was done with the .iso it could read the DVD. But then the screen will say "press enter to start installation", when I press enter nothing happens.

Am I doing this all wrong?
  • localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Click on the Virtual Machine Details then choose IDE CDROM, Click on the disconnect button then click connect button and it will prompt you for the next .iso
    I read that in my book but I thought the CD would eject not ask for another .iso. Thanks for the info, Ill go ahead and try that.
    Good news, I was able to install my 1st VM. The problem I was having was after the system booted, it asked to test or skip..I kept pressing skip. When I pressed test, it gave me an option to eject, thats when I went to the details disconnected then connected with the next .iso . Thanks!
    I did learn how to use virsh over the past couple of days, so the days werent wasted. I couldnt find a way to delete the VM's on virual manager so I had to use virsh. I'm definitely having fun learning linux.