Anyone interested in Diablo 3 game, please come in!

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'll ask a few questions related to that game.

My system has intel GMA 4500M HD graphics chipset and as far as i make a research, it appears this
chipset is not supported by diablo 3. However, i did the same for certain games i have been playing
on that chipset such as Witcher 2, fifa 12 and nba 2k11 even Witcher 2 tells the same thing
for my chipset but not specifically by noting that ATI and NVIDIA chipsets are supported.

First question; What does unsupported graphics chipset exactly mean? "it doesn't meet the minimum reqs" is
not the answer i expected. I mention whether the game developers write codes for that specific hardware
is indicated ""supported hardware"" ?

Second question ; may updating video drivers make an unsupported graphics chipset possible to be supported?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Most the time if a video card is not supported it has to do with Pixel shader you can read about it here Pixel shader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the new games are using Version 3 or 4 pretty much.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If it's a desktop, you're probably going to want to buy a dedicated graphics card to play games as new as Diablo III, (or anything from the last six or seven years). The chipset you're talking about is Intel's own integrated video, which is definitely not built for gaming. It doesn't have its own video memory, it borrows from the system RAM, and doesn't perform very well when benchmarked.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Diablo3 will likely run on even older or budget grade hardware. But you will need a dedicated video card for any kind of decent performance.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your PC can handle Star Craft 2 , then it can handle Diablo 3. Its pretty much the same graphics engine.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, pixel shader engines/pipelines/processors is not the case. Cos, my integrated graphics card supports shader model 4/directx10 processing.

it may sound weird but i completed star wars the force unleashed 2 on that computer. Of course, this is not limited to my
    graphics chipset also involving 4096 MB 400 MHz DDR3 RAM and a lot weak dual-core celeron SU 2300 processor.

However, usually if your graphics chipset is listed 'unsupported', its not allowed to run by popped up message on your
    screen.

Again im asking the same thing: What does unsupported mean? Does it mean that game developers didn't write codes
    appropriate for this particular chipset?

the second question : is it possible to make an unsupported chipset become supported once driver update is performed?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I suppose English may not be your first language... Unsupported | Define Unsupported at Dictionary.com

It means exactly what it says, it is NOT supported. i.e. it was either not tested at all with that chipset, or the performance did not the standards of game play they were looking for when it was tested, and therefore they will not support anyone running the game on it.

It does not mean you can't run it, it just means if you try to run it and it doesn't work, too bad, go buy something that is supported if you really want to play it.
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    At first, I thought you had the inside scoop on getting selected for beta icon_sad.gif. In any event, I can't wait for that game to be released.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Everyone wrote: »
    I suppose English may not be your first language... Unsupported | Define Unsupported at Dictionary.com

It means exactly what it says, it is NOT supported. i.e. it was either not tested at all with that chipset, or the performance did not the standards of game play they were looking for when it was tested, and therefore they will not support anyone running the game on it.

It does not mean you can't run it, it just means if you try to run it and it doesn't work, too bad, go buy something that is supported if you really want to play it.

On the contrary, sometimes it does mean you can't run it and the game will prevent installation or loading period. Other times, it means you are SOL from getting any help from the developer. Updating drivers will not do anything.

When in doubt, best to start here. Obviously, Diablo3 will not be listed for a little while.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Otherwise, get a video card and don't make this anymore confusing than it is.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Was there some encouraging announcement about D3 at this year's Blizzcon?

I've pretty much given up waiting for D3 and turned my hopes back to HL3.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Was there some encouraging announcement about D3 at this year's Blizzcon?

I've pretty much given up waiting for D3 and turned my hopes back to HL3.

Not really... Beta was extended, and release pushed to Q1 2012 now. However, if you're a WoW player, you can get Diablo 3, along with some other goodies for "Free" by signing up for the WoW annual pass.

It's kind of like a cell phone contract, you still pay the regular $14.95/month price for your WoW subscription, difference is you commit to doing that for 1 full year. In return, you get Diablo 3 for free when it's released, along with a few other perks.
    D3 is not going to have a monthly charge, is it? That's just not cost-effective for my minor game-playing habit.
    D3 will not have a monthly fee. But there will be an auction house you can buy/sell stuff for real money, in addition to the regular one.
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ouch, yeah i know what unsupported means. The problem is that i can play the witcher 2 and fifa 12 which is very close to diablo 3 system reqs.
    so, 'preventing installation part' is the thing i am scared of. Otherwise, i will be able to run this too.

• VagaVaga Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Generally when we say a card is unsupported (and by "we" I mean the company I work for, which is a game developer not in anyway associated with Blizzard), it generally means we simply haven't tested the game on that hardware, and we're not willing to provide support if it will not run on your system.

That's not to say the game won't run, it could well run flawlessly, it's just it hasn't been verified. It could very well install, or during the install it may detect that you have an unsupported graphics chip and not let you go any further. (This last is generally unlikely, chances are it would install and simply not work).

To be fair, and I'm only speaking with regards to the place I work at, we can only support a finite amount of systems, and when we get prototypes to test code on that don't work properly from the get go, it makes supporting them even more difficult.

As people have said, get a dedicated graphics card if you definitely want support, otherwise the not supported thing, is pretty much buy at your own risk.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i wasnt d3 to hurry up and get here

the only issue i have with it is that you have to have an internet connection, the reason i liked the other diablo games i could play them when ever were ever, some places i dont have internet
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I thought this was a thread to hit a link to play Diablo 3. Hah!

Anyway, I remember I spent a lot of time on Diablo I, didn't really get into Diablo II., and I'm not sure I'd play Diablo III much.

I'm of the infrequent gaming habit. I buy maybe one or two games a year, binge on them for a couple weeks when they first come out, then play it maybe once a month or so afterward for the rest of the year.

Don't have tons of free time anymore, like I did in college.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    instant000 wrote: »
    Don't have tons of free time anymore, like I did in college.

Ah man i remember those days icon_sad.gif just goto school, study for a few classes for about 2 hours a day , then spend the rest of my day playing Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, GTA 3 lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Diablo I and II were classics. From what I have seen so far, Diablo III might be an amazing game. Diablo II kept me busy in High School icon_cool.gif.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Played original a lot. Played second almost as much. The repeated efforts of beating the game over and over just for the hopes of picking up a cool piece of gear every hour or so got old. I compared the game to Pokemon.

Regardless, I still think Blizzard makes quality games and D3 will be purchased without a doubt.
    The lootz in D2 was crazy. I got bored with battle.net and doing nothing but "Baal runs." Jamala's character editor ruined the single-player for me. I tried to stay from character editors when playing D2 play-a-likes, like Titan Quest and Torchlight. It just ruins the integrity of the game. Buying items from a store for real $$ is a better limitation than crafting anything you want for free.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i spent wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on Diablo 2 and i have to stay far far away from Diablo 3 if i want to stay married and have a job.

have fun playing Diablo 3 if / when it comes out.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green