Options

ebook readers for MS certifications

xhatafxxhatafx Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I am preparing for MS 70-640. I needed to buy a book for that but soon realized that I can buy an ebook reader and can render a PDF on that. I wanted to know that are people in this forum using ebook reader to prepare for there certifications, if yes which ones they use. I have also technical pdf and looking for ebook reader which can accommodate my pdf as well.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kindle Fire looks like it will be able to render PDFs just as good as a tablet/touchpad

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/ref=famstripe_kf

ugh, after looking through all the features you've got me tempted to get it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been using my Touchpad, but any tablet that'll handle pdfs should be fine.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    still dumbfounded as to why the kindles including the new ones do not support epub.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    My iPad and GoodReader has not let me down yet. You can use iBooks as well. It's truly the best money I've spent on something technology related in the last 8 months.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    still dumbfounded as to why the kindles including the new ones do not support epub.

1. ePub is a hair removed from most online ebook formats; including it might make the paid formats easier to hack?
    2. Why give access to free books instead of making you buy them? They only include PDF access because they know customers would gripe about not being able to read white papers, work memos, etc.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    1. ePub is a hair removed from most online ebook formats; including it might make the paid formats easier to hack?
    2. Why give access to free books instead of making you buy them? They only include PDF access because they know customers would gripe about not being able to read white papers, work memos, etc.

As I got more involved in my studies, I haven't really been using my Kindle 2. Amazon has a lot of free books that should be required reading for anyone....(books that are out of copyright and in public domain.)

Two in particular that should be in anyone's Kindle collection: Machiavelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's The Art of War. Price I paid for them: $0.00. :)

If tablets are that much better e-readers than Kindles in the regard that epubs and PDFs are readable, then Amazon will have a problem. I tried reading a PDF on my Kindle once, and vowed never to do it again (until they improved upon it...)

I have a feeling this year's Black Friday will be good for tablet sales...here's to hoping. :D
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »

Kindle supports a number of different formats including TXT and MOBI and even has the ability to convert files such as HTML, MS Word, and image files. I can't claim to know why Amazon picked the MOBI format over something like ePub but it is likely due to ePub's issues with DRM. But converting between the two formats (ePub => MOBI) using something like Calibre is trivial.

MobileRead Wiki - MOBI
    EPUB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I have purchased an Android tablet I hardly use my Kindle DX any more. I really loved teh Kindle at first and I will keep it around for reading outside and for using the text-to-speech. But both my wife and I have given ours up as our eReader of choice.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As I got more involved in my studies, I haven't really been using my Kindle 2. Amazon has a lot of free books that should be required reading for anyone....(books that are out of copyright and in public domain.)

Two in particular that should be in anyone's Kindle collection: Machiavelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's The Art of War. Price I paid for them: $0.00. :)

If tablets are that much better e-readers than Kindles in the regard that epubs and PDFs are readable, then Amazon will have a problem. I tried reading a PDF on my Kindle once, and vowed never to do it again (until they improved upon it...)

I have a feeling this year's Black Friday will be good for tablet sales...here's to hoping. :D
    Not really considering there is a Kindle App for every platform out there, Android to iPad. If you consider the price of the new Kindles (most around or under $100) it's going to be common for people to have a tablet and the traditional Kindle as well. I imagine by next Black Friday (Friday after Thanks Giving in the US) we will see the drop of the devices by another $10 or so. It's the "law of accelerated returns" where a technology is initially expensive and hardly works at all to where it becomes stable, works exceptionally well, and the cost drops to being trivial.

Some people get absorbed into different technological ecosystems. For some it's Apple - for me and my wife it's Amazon. Although I must admit she is now being pulled to the Apple world as she has an iPod, iPad, and a Mac Book Air. But the fact that all of our Amazon investments work fine on all of those devices just keeps the Amazon hooks in us all the more. Let's just say that downloading music was not uncommon for her - but now that we can get things from Amazon very cheeply and she can use cloud player and listen to them on any device makes shopping on iTunes almost irrelevant.

My opinion - if you are looking into getting a new eReader and you are willing to spend $400 - $500 buy a good tablet. If you are looking for something cheap and willing to use a converter like Calibre on your PDFs and other formats then likely the new WiFi Kindle for under $80 will be fine for you. At $379, right now witht he price of tablets, I cannot see a justification in purchasing a Kindle DX.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Hello Guys,
    Thanks for all your replies,

I bought HP Touchpad and its really cool, I agree there are couple of glitches in Adobe Pdf Reader (in TP) but still it works wonders.

Thanks
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I asked for a Kindle for my birthday from the lady of the house, I was so excited to use it for studies. Within 24 hours I realized what a let down this was and was so frustrated, although I could not show it, as it would hurt her feelings. Now I am trying to find a good priced tablet to use.

If you want to use PDF, run from the kindle!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have always used Goodreader on my iPad, best 99 cent app I ever bought. Adding notes, highliting, bookmarking is excellent. But that is when I can get a PDF copy of a cert book. Usually Sybex includes a PDF copy so I can read the book and mark that up and use a PDF copy when I want to get out and read a bit at the coffee shop.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Devilry wrote: »
    I asked for a Kindle for my birthday from the lady of the house, I was so excited to use it for studies. Within 24 hours I realized what a let down this was and was so frustrated, although I could not show it, as it would hurt her feelings. Now I am trying to find a good priced tablet to use.

If you want to use PDF, run from the kindle!

I disagree. I have a Kindle DX, which was the first Kindle to support PDFs, specifically to study and transport my tech library. The PDFs from my MS Press books were OK at first and then very readable after an eventual Kindle software update. The PDFs from the Cisco books were crap - it looked like the page included the dotted lines along which the printer should cut when they assemble the book. Could be the version of Adobe used to create the PDFs, but other PDFs I tried were fine.

PDFs on a normal 7" Kindle or Kindle Fire would be too small to be readable, particularly if they have technical diagrams. For Tech books you should stick with the DX, an iPad, or other 10" tablet.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I disagree. I have a Kindle DX, which was the first Kindle to support PDFs, specifically to study and transport my tech library. The PDFs from my MS Press books were OK at first and then very readable after an eventual Kindle software update. The PDFs from the Cisco books were crap - it looked like the page included the dotted lines along which the printer should cut when they assemble the book. Could be the version of Adobe used to create the PDFs, but other PDFs I tried were fine.

PDFs on a normal 7" Kindle or Kindle Fire would be too small to be readable, particularly if they have technical diagrams. For Tech books you should stick with the DX, an iPad, or other 10" tablet.

100% agree with this!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Claymoore wrote: »

You are right, the DX has PDF support. On a normal kindle like I have, there is none and it is ridiculously bad.
  • Options
    normal kindle would not be sufficient for reading technical books due to limited screen space. Kindle DX would be a good option with bigger screen size, but one thing quite apparent is the price of DX as I got touch pad with less price than that and bit more functionality :)