CCNA and CIW

SamHawkinsSamHawkins Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently looking at doing the CCNA or trying to do some of the CIW courses probably starting with the basic course and was just wandering what study guides people would advise and how long you would expect them to take. I was looking at the CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Updated, 3rd Edition when it is out at the end of the November. are these official books the best? also i have noticed the CIW self study guides seem to be alot more expensive from the UK suppliers. Does anybody know if we can order them from them Direct even though it is in dollars?

Thanks for any info?

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What CIW exams are you looking at doing? You can find the CIW 1D0-510 to be the easiest exam for you to write for by just going over the Study Guide at mcmcse.com

That exam makes the A+ and Network+ exams look like the CCNA or MCITP:EA. Between experience and reading that guide, I was able to pass the exam with a head cold.
  • SamHawkinsSamHawkins Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes it was the 1Do-510 Exam that i was thinking about looking at as Web development was an area that i hadn't looked at before and thought i would start from scratch at the basics? Have you done any of other CIW exams
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're doing CCNA, I'd wait until the next certification guide release on November 7:

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-640-802-Official-Library-Updated/dp/158720438X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320082101&sr=8-1

This with a lab or GNS3 should get you to pass the test. Out of the two tests you're interested in, it is the more difficult. It has simulations and tricky questions.

Epradmin's link to the study guide is probably the only resource you need to pass the certified web associate exam. It's easy if you have a networking background or taken the A+/Network+ exams.

I took the Web associate and Security associate exams a few weeks ago. They weren't difficult if you have studied for Security+ and Network+. The questions are pretty straight forward (unlike the Cisco ones).
    Thanks as it sounds like the web associate course is quite straight forward i might look at the study guide in that link and try and take that exam before the CCNA book comes out later in the month
    SamHawkins wrote: »
    Yes it was the 1Do-510 Exam that i was thinking about looking at as Web development was an area that i hadn't looked at before and thought i would start from scratch at the basics? Have you done any of other CIW exams

Sam, yes. I have done 1D0-510 and 1D0-435 (Javascript).

Normally, when people ask about the CIW exams, it's to fulfill a requirement for Western Governors University, where many TE members attend (including myself). I don't list my CIWs on my cert lists because I don't really view CIW certs as real certs. I can tell you this though, when you "write" (the way you guys across the pond would say) a CIW, it really would make a CompTIA exam seem terribly difficult. (In other words, very, very easy). For the 510, you should have no problem writing for it after you review the study guide.

The Javascript exam is another matter. You will need to bone up on Javascript, but you'll find that once you get the basics down, you'll pass that exam as well. uCertify had helped me with that one as well as thenewboston.com (though his manner of instruction is slightly annoying....)
    Thanks the reason i was asking is because i thought it would make a change from my Microsoft certifications and learn something which i thought would be new and different. Would you say that the Javascript course and study was worth it and gave you the knowledge required?
    SamHawkins wrote: »
    Thanks the reason i was asking is because i thought it would make a change from my Microsoft certifications and learn something which i thought would be new and different. Would you say that the Javascript course and study was worth it and gave you the knowledge required?

To be honest, not really. I mean, I can have an intelligent conversation about Javascript now, as my Weblogic web servers use it. But I was never going to develop web pages that uses it...but if I see object errors, I know that the solution is going to rest on the client-side (clearing web browser cache.)

The 1D0-510 was more of a introduction to IT in general. CIW really needs to change the name of Web Associate to something that is reflective of a general IT certification. Your A+ and Network+ would definitely help you take the 510. There's Security+ and Project+ topics discussed as well. It's really a very broad exam.

The only thing you might be learning new if you've been in IT for about a couple of years are modem bps rates (and of course, HTML). I got into computers in 1991...my first modem was 2400 bps and the Internet did not exist (commerically). I had access to it via Gopher, IRC, and even through FidoNet hubs that would have Usenet posts/files....but "world wide web" wouldn't exist for another couple of years.

If Javascript interests you, you'll want to pick up a good Javascript book to read if you really want to learn it (and pass the 635 exam). But I think you'll find that the exam is very much beneath you based on the certs you have, unless you want to become a developer.