ICND2 - VTP password mismatch

damien2008damien2008 Member Posts: 45 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Would password mismatches in VTP config cause problems icon_confused.gif:

I am reading the CCNA ICND2 book and chapter 1: VTP config and verification page 48, example 1-6 shows
the output of 3 connected switches.
The show vtp status commands list 3 different MD5 hash codes indicating different passwords.
Page 49 paragraph 4 states the example did not have any problems because of VTP password mismatches.

If passwords are configured on all switches they must match to enable VTP updates to be processed icon_confused.gif:

Regards

Damien2008

Comments

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    damien2008 wrote: »
    Hi,

Would password mismatches in VTP config cause problems icon_confused.gif:

I am reading the CCNA ICND2 book and chapter 1: VTP config and verification page 48, example 1-6 shows
    the output of 3 connected switches.
    The show vtp status commands list 3 different MD5 hash codes indicating different passwords.
    Page 49 paragraph 4 states the example did not have any problems because of VTP password mismatches.

If passwords are configured on all switches they must match to enable VTP updates to be processed icon_confused.gif:

Regards

Damien2008
    yes it would cause problems , unless you are running the switches in transparent mode.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Damien,

I looked at that and thought it looked wrong as well, so I searched for the errata for that book, and it is mentioned in the errata.

You can view it here:
    InformIT: CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 2nd Edition

Look for the "Updates" tab and it will let you download the errata.

Basically, SW1 and SW3 should have the same MD5 hash because they both are in the "Larry" domain.

SW2 should have a different MD5 hash, because the domain name and the password are used in the MD5 hash and it has a domain name of "larry".

Hope this helps!
  • damien2008damien2008 Member Posts: 45 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, I have now downloaded the errata. I was very confused reading the explaination.
    I suppose it shows I must be learning something..........icon_study.gif

regards

damien2008
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Yes, that is a great way to look at it.

It always good when you see something and notice that it's not right rather than just take the author at their word. Also, I find that those ones stick in your memory better.

When you go for your exam, and you get a question about VTP passwords matching, you'll think, "I remember posting about that", and it will all come back.