Options

Resume Critique

celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if some people can take a look over my resume and critique it for me. I am graduating in December with two A.A.S. so I decided it was time to update my 2 year old resume encase I need to use it in the future. Have edited out all the personal information and did alot of editing and cutting to make it into one page. Please let me know what you think and what I can do to improve it.

Thanks
updating resume will post new one later
Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)

Comments

• Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I'd **** the objective, it doesn't really say anything. Also suggest writing out MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician instead of EST for people who don't know what it is. Also you just list MCTS but don't say which one you have. The S in MCSA stands for systems, not server. It's CompTIA, not Tia. I wouldn't end a sentence with "etc..."
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on everything sheckler said. Objectives are useless. Spelling out the cert helps if potential employer is scanning for keywords. As someone responsible at some point for hiring, I would've put your resume on the Reject pile due to the MCSA thing. Also, I would get rid of the "2009" as it doesn't add anything valuable.

The border is a matter of choice, but I don't like it. In regards to experience I find this section extremely poor. For example, the "Your Development" description is very generic and reads as something any techie can do. This is your chance to shine. You need to present your skill set efficiently, concisely and with tons of passion. Show them what you've worked with, what tools you used and how you solved a specific problem. My general recommendation for experience is a paragraph with a summary of duties followed with a few bullets presenting key points (saving, process improvement, etc) that brought value to the company.

Example for the paragraph: "achieve optimum performance and availability for all systems including XXX and YYY by assessing, implementing and managing appropriate technical solutions"

Example for the bullets: "solved X problem by implementing Y technology resulting in $Z savings over a period of 90 days"
  • Options
    celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much guys for the feedback, no excuses for the server and system mix up other than the fact I was thinking about servers when I added that in earlier LOL, glad i asked for a critique ;) I'll make some changes tommrow and update it when I get a chance, again thank you and I truly appreciate the feedback :)
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)