Options

Got IPv6 deployed at work, now running dual-stack from my office to the world :D

ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
Yep, my office is now running dual stack
It sorta went like this, find an IPv6 provider that won't break the bank.
We're just about 15 people at that one site and many of the broadband companies I called didn't know what IPv6 was until I spoke with a manager, who in turn needed to get back to me after speaking with an engineer.
Clearly, few ISP's are ready here in NYC.

Quick and dirty on how it got done, more than willing to fill out details if anyone wants to know more

Some initial considerations
-We have our own IPv6 address blocks, which will be used internally
-IPv4 network already up and running, no significant changes
-There is the need for 4 subnets

The hardware
-We have a Juniper router on our WAN facing link
-We have a Cisco router and Catalyst switch internally

Make IPv6 go over the WAN link.
-Manually configure the WAN facing interface with IP address, mask and IPv6 DNS server
-Set up BGP peering, so our internal IPv6 address blocks are announced to the internet
-Verify network connectivity and BGP peering is active
One thing I learned the hard way about BGP peering is verifying the correct network & MASK is being announced

Configure the IPv6 network on the LAN
-Apply static IPv6 management IPs to routers/switches
-JunOS does not have router advertisements on by default.
-Cisco IOS 12.x does, which made if for the extra "IPv6 enable" command
-The Catalyst switch was running CatOS which does not support IPv6, however it's a switch so it really shouldn't be meddling in IPv6 affairs, at least not in our setup
-We're using auto-configuration not DHCPv6, initially the issue of the DNS server info being handed out was in question, however, it seems that the same DHCP server we use for IPv4 also resolves IPv6 addresses as well.
-All macs, and one PC running Windows 7 (hell-if-i-know if it worked on there :P )

Apply static routing between the VLANs to the outside world.
It's not that big of a network where routing protocols make sense.

Start pinging stuff and make sure they can talk on layer 3 .

Visit What is my IPv6 Address? to see it live in action :D

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    So your WAN connection is IPv6 only, or is it also dual stack? Are there websites you can't get too because they don't have the proper AAA record or are you tunneled somehow?

This is interesting...
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our wan link is Dual stack, running IPv4 and IPv6 natively.
    No tunnels :D
    There are LOTS of site's that I can't access if I'm running on IPv6 alone, making the web a very lonely place.
    http://www.sixxs.net/ works nicely on IPv4 and IPv6 and I used them to test general web browsing.
    There's a list of verified IPv6 enabled sites in their wiki.
    Google will only support IPv6 upon request, on a network-by-network basis, we don't meet the requirements so asking won't be feasible yet, and I'm noticing a few quality issues, which I'm slowly trying to debug.
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/
    Just tried plugging an IPv6 address into a browser, and it gave me the google search results, don't think the address bar is ready for it.
    So, we're definitely running on top of IPv4 for most services.
    Also haven't got around to configuring DHCPv6 yet, with autoconfiguration your hosts won't be supplied the address of a DNS server, unless you plug that in manually.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you for sharing your real-world experience with IPv6 deployment.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV