Options

Parents at the playground

PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
What is up with the parents who come to the playground and immediately bury themselves in their phone or Ipad?

I live by 3 schools. The other day I am there running around with my kids. A woman comes up with her kids. One is dressed for soccer and the other girl heads off to the swings. She gets on the swing next to my kid and waits for me to push her, which I don't do. I look at her mother, who is totally ignoring the girl. WTH. I would never let my kids run to play without checking out the area and who is there.

I end up pushing her on the swing, but was watching if the mother would ever come over. She didn't. I wanted to go over and ask her, but my wife just said let it go.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't have pushed that kid, but that's just me. The new parenting is ignoring the children and letting them learn on their own. I guess we should be happy she took the kids out instead of dropping them off in front of some electronic device. It amazes me when I hear parents complain about how they are always running around to take their child to this or that. Their argument is they want them to experience life and get ever chance to succeed. My argument? You just don't want to deal/talk with your child and this is the best way to do it, schedule them so that you see them in the morning and when they go to bed.

My parents let us do any activity we wanted, but never more then one per season. Also, we were never forced to do something if we didn't want to. Sure they'd sign you up to see if you liked it, but if you didn't no problem you don't have to go. We also ate a family dinner every night and both of my parents worked (we were on a farm so my dad would work his full time day job and then come home to do whatever was need on the farm). I would have probably said something to the lady, but your wife was definitely right. It would have turned into an argument that wasn't worth having. So props to you for spending time with your kid and pushing the other kid!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hate this....I only did this when my wife was with me and even then I stopped after a minute or two because I felt like a total schmuck. I used to play Wow with a married couple and after a while that used to make me scratch my head because on the weekends I mainly play at night after my son is asleep and my wife wants to watch some shows on the DVR. Yet I log in sometimes when he is taking a nap and they are on their during the day, sometimes I do an all day binge when my wife lets me and they are both on there ALL DAY. The thing is they have several kids, one is a year old. I keep wanting to ask "so do you two just chuck your kids a pop tart and let them fight over it like stray dogs to avoid logging off and making them a meal?".
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I hate this....I only did this when my wife was with me and even then I stopped after a minute or two because I felt like a total schmuck. I used to play Wow with a married couple and after a while that used to make me scratch my head because on the weekends I mainly play at night after my son is asleep and my wife wants to watch some shows on the DVR. Yet I log in sometimes when he is taking a nap and they are on their during the day, sometimes I do an all day binge when my wife lets me and they are both on there ALL DAY. The thing is they have several kids, one is a year old. I keep wanting to ask "so do you two just chuck your kids a pop tart and let them fight over it like stray dogs to avoid logging off and making them a meal?".

Scary thing is, they probably have the kids make THEM food.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Many children are being terribly neglected. Turn off the gadgets and spend time with your children everyday.
  • Options
    I have known a parent or two over the years that use a pack and play like a dog kennel. We used ours only when I had to run downstairs to throw some laundry in otherwise my son was always on my lap when studying or watching TV. Now he's two and I have gotten used to reading when he is pulling my ears.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »

That's so sad. Kids are always the ones who suffer. I spend most of my time off with my family. My kids are into Thomas the Train big time, so we build tracks all day long. I do let them watch some stuff on the computer, but only after I've checked it out.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So while parents are gossiping, texting and Facebooking, their children learn from MTV and their peers about life. Then the parents can't figure why their child seems so cold to them.icon_rolleyes.gif
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would never let my kids run to play without checking out the area and who is there.

I end up pushing her on the swing, but was watching if the mother would ever come over. She didn't. I wanted to go over and ask her, but my wife just said let it go.
    I wouldn't have touched that child at all; even if she asked me. I'm not a father but I've got a couple of nephews and wherever we go I've got an eye on each of them and anyone nearby them. I would have went to the mother and told her that I feel very uncomfortable when strangers touch my nephews so I wouldn't want to do the same to someone else's child. (heck; next thing you know something happens, the child starts balling for her mommy and YOU end up looking like a threat to society.) I am still super paranoid about who my teen nephews hang with and where they go. You'd think that after hearing stories of Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Dugard, Leiby Kletzky and others that parents wouldn't think about ever letting children out of their sight. icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    She was too busy tweeting about how much fun she was having with her kids on the playground icon_rolleyes.gif
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Wow, that's pretty selfish of the mother/father. They need to at least get their child an ipad or smartphone of their own to play with while at the playground!

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    If no one on here admits to doing what this woman has done...at least once, then you're quite the liar. As parents, we are always comparing ourselves and our kids to others. I've done it, but not intentionally ignoring them. And I am always making sure I know where my kids are at all times. I am also not perfect and can be distracted, whether it be by a device or someone/something else.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Now for your next exercise, sit down in the play area in any mall, and watch how many people **** their kids and don't come back for how ever long you stay there. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is why I don't have kids nor do I want them, then I can be all about me without issue ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Now for your next exercise, sit down in the play area in any mall, and watch how many people **** their kids and don't come back for how ever long you stay there. icon_rolleyes.gif

I see this quite often. At the mall we go to, there is a T-mobile store next to the play area and I've watched parent's put their kids in the play area and go to the store.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Wow, that's pretty selfish of the mother/father. They need to at least get their child an ipad or smartphone of their own to play with while at the playground!

icon_lol.gif

But, that would defeat the purpose of going to the playground icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »

I havent seen it but I am a super helicopter parent and I know I need to chill a bit. One time an older kid knocked my son down and thought it was funny and I got up and gave that kid a look that made him run to his parents lol.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITT: Judgemental parents judging other parents.