Options

Need some help setting up VNC to remote into Ubuntu PC (Cisco Lab)

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a PC in my garage connected to my Cisco lab of three Cisco 3550 switches. It's running Ubuntu 10.04 (32bit) with GNS3 installed for all Cisco routers. I want to be able to remote into this PC from inside the house, and eventually from work as well, (I'll figure that out later, just trying to do things one step at a time icon_wink.gif ).

I'm basically trying to copy this exact setup:
CCIE Lab using GNS3 and Quad Nics for Switches | FAQ

If you watch the video when he remotes into the Ubuntu server he immediately gets GUI access to the server, (skip to 3:50 on the above video to see what I'm referring to). However, when I remote from inside my house to the PC/Server in the garage instead of a GUI screen I'm brought to a command prompt on the remote PC/Server.

I'm a complete Linux noob so I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to set this up properly. I've installed a few VNC programs on the remote PC/Server but I keep getting the command prompt and not a GUI screen. I don't know if I need to configure the VNC servers in a certain way, and if I do I wouldn't know how to do that.

Anybody know how to do this?

Comments