Setting up a very basic network...im stuck.

ThugnificentThugnificent Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I know this is very basic but its been bugging me.

We had a one off network practical class on friday at uni, like a tester so we can choose between network and programming modules for next semester...anywho...we were in pairs and my partner was really good but didnt give me much of an idea what "we" had done...but if I can do networks we get to study for the cisco award too. I figure if I cant get this to do programming isntead.

The task: We have to set up a network with a router and two switches with only one pc coming off of each of them.

Each of the computers is set up with IPs 192.168.1.132/24 and 192.168.2.104/24. They are connected to a switch and the switches go into the router.

I go into hyperterminal and set F0/0's ip address to
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0, F0/1's IP is set to 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0...I typed no shutdown before getting out of each interface which starts it going I believe.

Then I go back into normal windows, right click network connections and for PC at
192.168.1.132 I set the default gateway to 192.168.1.0 and the pc who's IP is 192.168.2.104 I set to 192.168.2.0

Should that work? Ive sorta remembered what to do and cant try it in real life any more...just going on the worksheet we had. Would this work If I try to ping from one network to the other?

Does the router need any more setting up than me giving IP and subnet masks to the two interfaces? Do I need to set an IP address for the main router?

also to ping from 192.168.1.132 to 192.168.2.104 I do just go into cmd and type ping 192.168.2.104 dont I?

Thanks for anyone that can help btw. I know Ive got til Christmas to decide modules but I'd quite like to get a bit of a headstart on people...so could do with choosing now. My network knowledge is much weaker currently...but Id rather do it if we get to do the cisco thing too.

Comments

• alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186

The task: We have to set up a network with a router and two switches with only one pc coming off of each of them.

Each of the computers is set up with IPs 192.168.1.132/24 and 192.168.2.104/24. They are connected to a switch and the switches go into the router.

I go into hyperterminal and set F0/0's ip address to
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0, F0/1's IP is set to 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0...I typed no shutdown before getting out of each interface which starts it going I believe.

Then I go back into normal windows, right click network connections and for PC at
    192.168.1.132 I set the default gateway to 192.168.1.0 and the pc who's IP is 192.168.2.104 I set to 192.168.2.0

Should that work? Ive sorta remembered what to do and cant try it in real life any more...just going on the worksheet we had. Would this work If I try to ping from one network to the other?

Does the router need any more setting up than me giving IP and subnet masks to the two interfaces? Do I need to set an IP address for the main router?

also to ping from 192.168.1.132 to 192.168.2.104 I do just go into cmd and type ping 192.168.2.104 dont I?

Thanks for anyone that can help btw. I know Ive got til Christmas to decide modules but I'd quite like to get a bit of a headstart on people...so could do with choosing now. My network knowledge is much weaker currently...but Id rather do it if we get to do the cisco thing too.

Hey,

The /24 network that you have allows the range of ip addresses 192.168.2.1 all the way through 192.168.2.254 so these are all 'useable' network numbers. 192.168.2.0 would be the network address (meaning this is where this network starts) and 192.168.2.255 is the broadcast address (ping every device in this network). If you go back to the router and reconfigure the fa0/0 interfaces with any ip address between 1 and 254 excluding the two that are taken by the pc's this should now work.

-also remember to change the default gateway over on the pc's so the numbers read whatever you set the f0/0 interfaces to.

Yes if you open up the command prompt and type in 'ping' and then your network address this will work.

-hope this helps
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What about routes? Have you set any on the router? Otherwise those two networks will never talk to each other.,
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    What about routes? Have you set any on the router? Otherwise those two networks will never talk to each other.,

The two subnets are directly connected so you don't need to enter any route commands.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And FYI-the default gateway is different from the gateway address. icon_wink.gif
    Configuring a Gateway of Last Resort Using IP Commands - Cisco Systems
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    All of your configs look good except for the default gateway addresses. 192.168.1.0 and .2.0 are the network numbers. Meaning they refer to the entire network and they are unusable as a host or router IP address. The last number in the network is also unusable (.255), my suggestion is to use the first valid address (192.168.1.1 and .2.1) for the router interfaces. They will be able to ping without any other configuration being that these are connected routes, and are not separated by another router.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• chiluchilu Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cyberguypr is right..The computers will not be able to ping each other because there are no static routes setup or routing protocols setup.
    Best thing to do would be to configure static routes for your network so that pc on network 192.168.1.0 can talk to pc on network 192.168.2.0
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chilu wrote: »
    Cyberguypr is right..The computers will not be able to ping each other because there are no static routes setup or routing protocols setup.
    Best thing to do would be to configure static routes for your network so that pc on network 192.168.1.0 can talk to pc on network 192.168.2.0
    No; gosh1976 is correct. This network setup only has one router so why would it need routing protocols?icon_wink.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • chiluchilu Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    No; gosh1976 is correct. This network setup only has one router so why would it need routing protocols?icon_wink.gif

Ok, I missed that part. One router in the network then no routes need to be configured. Directly connected links it is.
    Ping should work then.
    Good stuff
  • j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Agree with both alliasneo and 4_lom

Those 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 addresses you are trying to assign to the router's interfaces are both subnet addresses which means they aren't able to be used for hosts. I tried a quick mockup in GNS3 and the router wouldn't even allow me to assign those addresses to the interfaces.

Change both of them to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 respectively and you should be good.