Options

2012 Technology Salary Guide

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Saw this on a post from Wendell Odom; thought I'd share it here. If this has already been posted somewhere, feel free to delete: Robert Half International - Salary Guides

This pdf has some interesting information and is more than the usual, "if you have a ccna you'll make $250,000 a year starting out" crap that most of us have come to ignore. It lists salary variances by location based on the data and has some decent information on what employers are currently looking for.

Anyway, I'm not selling it, just sharing it for those who might be interested. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i hope my wife doesnt see this, she will expect me to make that kinda cash
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I stumbled upon this the other day on my own and it is exactly what my company uses to determine salary. It'll definitely prove useful for me in re-classifying my job title to negotiate for more when transitioning from hourly to salary.
  • Options
    crazychrono100crazychrono100 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I stumbled upon this the other day on my own and it is exactly what my company uses to determine salary. It'll definitely prove useful for me in re-classifying my job title to negotiate for more when transitioning from hourly to salary.

Hmm why would you want to go from hourly to salary? Wouldn't you lose out on OT? Are there any perks to being a salary worker? Just curious cause I'm taking a new job and its hourly.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This guide is more inline with reality than anything from TechRepublic.

Kudos and Rep to His Excellency. :D
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Hmm why would you want to go from hourly to salary? Wouldn't you lose out on OT? Are there any perks to being a salary worker? Just curious cause I'm taking a new job and its hourly.

In this case I will lose out on OT although that's just something that would be figured into my base salary in the first place.

Salary is usually increased job security, financial security and at least at my company comes with better benefits. I'm expecting a large pay increase and will get 21+ days of paid time off for the year.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488

The only perks for full time is that if you're lucky your boss will comp you time off for anytime worked over 40 hours. My last boss would let me take a day off if I worked a weekend day or whatever. But outside law firms in the lesser advanced positions and contractors most higher level jobs are salaried. Also, I'm not sure how your organization works but just because you're hourly doesn't mean you're going to get overtime. I would never factor that into my salary. In fact, if and when you get a chance for overtime during a large project or something, you'll be the first to go home if the project is going to be a long bit of overtime while the salaried employees get shanked. Just the way it is.
  • Options
    crazychrono100crazychrono100 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    The only perks for full time is that if you're lucky your boss will comp you time off for anytime worked over 40 hours. My last boss would let me take a day off if I worked a weekend day or whatever. But outside law firms in the lesser advanced positions and contractors most higher level jobs are salaried. Also, I'm not sure how your organization works but just because you're hourly doesn't mean you're going to get overtime. I would never factor that into my salary. In fact, if and when you get a chance for overtime during a large project or something, you'll be the first to go home if the project is going to be a long bit of overtime while the salaried employees get shanked. Just the way it is.

Oh yeah higher level jobs usually are salary and I can see why. I don't think any company want to pay someone overtime if they are already making 40 or 50/hr. So there is not much perk in regards to being salary as oppose to hourly. I guess that makes me feel a little better :)