LAB for ICND1 & ICND2

jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for the ICND1. I have gone through the Jeremy's CBT nuggets and read the Odom book. I'm starting my final preparation and I want to get in a lot of lab time, however I'm running short on ideas of what to work on..

Here is my lab setup.
  • 2400 series IAD w/ 2 T1 interfaces. I have a FastE connection to the Internet via a cable modem. (All other configured IP space is private.)
  • 2 1841 w/ T1 WIC connected to the IAD via serial. (Integrated CSU/DSU)
  • 2 3750 connected to the 1841s via FastE
:D

I have a connection to the internet on the IAD and have configured telemetry to all devices.
I built the network using only static routes, and then I migrated to RIPv2 which is running between the routers presently.
I have configured PAT from the CLI on the 1841s to facilitate internet connectivity from these devices.

My next steps are to turn up DHCP services on the 1841 routers for the LAN, and then practice port security on the switches.

Beyond this, I'm drawing a bit of a blank on what exercises I should practice. I am open to any suggestions. icon_confused.gif:

Also, I believe this gear should be plenty to study/practice for the ICND2, but if there are any suggestions on that point, fire away. I think the IAD will come in handy with the voice concentration if I decided to head in that direction.

Comments

• j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Don't know if you've done this but break portions of the network and run the appropriate debug commands to see the output. How about PPP authentication? How about downgrading one of the routers to RIP v1 and seeing the effects in the routing tables in the surrounding routers?

A cool one for me was to turn on rip debug and then I'd shut down a remote network and then bring it back online after a while. To see the route poison and poison reverse live was really cool.

I know I've already said this but break things and run through all the show commands to know which one shows what information. This will probably help you well past the CCENT and CCNA.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Do the labs from the Odom book and other books you can get your hands on.

Go through the tech notes and tech labs here Free practice exams and forums for CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE certifications

do the labs from Stub Area » CCNA Workbook
    get Shawn Moore's free workbook its good
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/70766-configure-network-ccna-lab-scenarios.html

Packet Tracer 5.3 labs

Go through labs from the practise tests and other sites
    The odom books should come (or used to) a free version of the bosun practise exams.

few free tutorials
    http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Tutorials.htm

s
    hould be enoough labs in the links above to keep you busy labbing for a while
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    Some nice routers there.
    The 1841's look nice compared to a lot of the others (less industrial) and are pretty much silent especially compared to 3660's

You may want another couple of wic's so you can connect the 1841's to the 3750's via serial
    not ethernet.

You didn't mention what switches you have.
    Do you have any L3 switches (3550 or newer ) ?
  • jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »
    Some nice routers there.
    The 1841's look nice compared to a lot of the others (less industrial) and are pretty much silent especially compared to 3660's

You may want another couple of wic's so you can connect the 1841's to the 3750's via serial
    not ethernet.

You didn't mention what switches you have.
    Do you have any L3 switches (3550 or newer ) ?

The 3750s are switches, 48 port, they only have ethernet interfaces. I believe they have layer 3 functionally and are capable of routing protocols but not with the IOS they are running. I will post the version when I get home.
  • jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jude56g wrote: »
    The 3750s are switches, 48 port, they only have ethernet interfaces. I believe they have layer 3 functionally and are capable of routing protocols but not with the IOS they are running. I will post the version when I get home.

The switches are WS-C3750-48TS-S running (C3750-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5.
    nice

I don't get to use/work with the latest cisco gear, mixed them up with the 3700 series routers
    Cisco 3700 Series Multiservice Access Routers* [Cisco 3700 Series Multiservice Access Routers] - Cisco Systems

I
    f you are using the iad for net access may want to get another router for use for frame relay or use gsn3
    and get a 2950 switch(or two) so you can have 3 switches and 3 routers to cover the common ccna topologies.
    CCNA Topologies

l
    ab guides http://www.subnet192.com/?page_id=282
    some other lab guides SUBnet.192 » Cisco CCNA Lab Guides