Options

NY Metro Area

What's the IT scene looking like in the NY metro area? I feel like I'm still being overlooked even with my new CCNA and bachelor's degeree and everything else. I'm trapped in this semi-IT job. The one good thing is, I at least have a good amount of time to study for additional certs which I'm doing but I fear I could be a CCNP by the time something decent comes along but based on what people have said, a CCNP can work against you without CCNA level experience. What gives?? Is it worse out there than I thought? I keep getting thrown help desk stuff (and barely that) and I don't see much entry-level to Jr. level NOC jobs that don't require a CCNP or MCSE. This is so frustrating. As someone put it, "it's either feast of famine in NY". I need something but don't want to settle for a crap salary or call center. I want real hands on. Any advice or insight, anyone?

Comments

• Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    Alot of companies are there.. they all need IT. magic 8ball says, "Your outlook looks good" ;)
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Piece of advise...

Ignore the "CCNP Required" or "MCSE Required" and apply anyway.

It may in fact be a requirement for the position in which case you wont get the call but its not going to hurt to apply and get your name and resume in front of some hiring managers.

You'd be surprised by how many times Ive seen "this is required" for a position when in fact, its not. Even when it is, its not. By that I mean most positions have a fair amount of flexibility when deciding whether they are willing to accept someone who isnt a CCNP or MCSE.

Often times, job descriptions are written up by HR who uses one generic description/list of requirements for all levels of positions or they are written up by a hiring manager who is compiling a wish-list of skills they want. Its also some times used so they can justify offering you a lesser salary than one might generally expect for the position because you dont meet all the "requirements" of the position.

Finally, back to what I said about it not hurting to get your name and resume in front of some hiring managers... The hiring managers know more about whats going on within the company than you do and they can pass your resume to other hiring managers within the company if need be. There is always the possibility that a position has not yet been listed to the public or that the hiring manager may know of an opening coming up in the next month or quarter that hasnt been listed yet but you would be a good fit for.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP