What should I get for a home lab for the CCNA exam? Please help.

ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a complete newb when it comes to networking. I want to get my hands on a home CCNA lab. I was hoping to get something that I can also use when I go for my CCNP. Can anyone recommend something? please tell me the exact models of switches and routers I should get. I've tried reading some other articles on how to build a home CCNA lab but alot of them were written in 2006 or something and I don't want to get a lab that is too old.

Thanks!

Comments

• effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Comes down to how much you're wanting to spend, but you could grab a few 2600 XM series (be sure they are XM series and not just normal 2600's) such as 26x0 XM and 26x1 XM and 2-3 3550 switches and all of those can carry into CCNP+ Also no need to go all out with a bunch of routers and switches, I am using 2 routers and a few switches to physically lab with and get more hands on and then using GNS3 to create complex topologies/labs that call for 3 or more routers and etc.
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Depends if you want to use physical kit or virtual. When I sat my CCNA I used Cisco's Packet tracer. you can use this to set up virtual network. Either that or GNS3. Thought for GNS3 you need a copy of IOS to use. If you want to use the phsyical kit then effekted has a good answer for you there. To get hold of the kit your best bet is Ebay. And good look with it and stick at it.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exactly as the previous couple posts said. Are you willing to use GSN3 and what is your budget? These two questions have to be answered first.

While you give thought to those two questions, you can start looking at the various pieces of equipment out there. For routers, there's the 2600XM series, the 1760 and the 1721 that give you the best bang for the buck. For switches, there's the 2950 and the 3550. Part of the learning process is looking at the various models and determining the strengths and weaknesses of them all.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    If you are patient you can get a basic lab setup for next to nothing.

On the weekend I brought 4 routers from ebay for under $5 (not that I need more equipment but who could refuse for the price)
    2x 1721's and 2x2600's (1721's are a bargin due to the wics -serial and a adsl)
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home de

Bay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Just an hour ride to pick them up on thursday

Yes the 2600's (non xm ) are older and can't use more recent ios versions
    I'm going to keep the 1721's and sell the 2610's.

1751's/1760's are another good option especially if you want to go on to doing ccna voip (just add pdvu's and a voip wic)

For a reasonable lab setup budget around $150 to 300 for 3 routers, 3 switches , wic's for the routers and cables (serial and network)
    Maybe for a rack as well. Don't be in a rush, take your time, do research.

gsn3 + a few switches is another good option.

Have a search through the forum here just keep to posts in the last year or so for equipment recommendations
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    and here's a few links so you can make use of your lab

tech notes and tech labs here Free practice exams and forums for CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE certifications

do the labs from Stub Area » CCNA Workbook
    get Shawn Moore's free workbook its good
    Configure the Network CCNA Lab Scenarios

Packet Tracer 5.3 labs

Go through labs from the practise tests and other sites
    The odom books should come (or used to) a free version of the bosun practise exams.

few free tutorials
    http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Tutorials.htm

http://www.subnet192.com/?page_id=282

should be enoough labs in the links above to keep you busy labbing for a while
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    GNS3 and Packet Tracer are all you really need, but a physical lab does have some advantages in the long run. Either way, for CCNA, you can't go wrong with GNS3, except for then switching aspect, which i strongly suggest physical switches.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    okay. So I think I should get 2950's switch and 1760 router. Are those model a good decision? and how many should I get? and what type of cables do I need?

thanks!
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    ghost2q wrote: »
    okay. So I think I should get 2950's switch and 1760 router. Are those model a good decision? and how many should I get? and what type of cables do I need?

thanks!

for CCNA you should have at least two switches for STP and VTP sims, (three preferably, four if you can get your hands on them) and 3 routers+ routers. However, with GNS3 you can link up your hardware switches and have an an almost limitless amount of virtual routers on your machine.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    Just make sure to set the idle setting for gsn3. Can make a lot of difference especially on older machines.

For switches may want to get 2 to 3 2950's and one 3550(L3)
  • ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys. I'm definitely getting the 2950 switches. But I'm unsure about the 1760 router. Is the 1760 a good choice? Thanks.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thanks guys. I'm definitely getting the 2950 switches. But I'm unsure about the 1760 router. Is the 1760 a good choice? Thanks.

Yes, the 1760 is a great choice. It runs a recent enough IOS, and it can be had for the best price amongst the "good enough" category.
  • lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have way more gear than I need, shoot me a email at lochmoigh at gmail dot com if you want to know what I have.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN