Options

Anyone hear of or have any feedback for World IT Solutions???

I had an interview and a Job offer. Sounds good... but maybe too good. I think I low balled my salary because they gave me what I asked for. This is ok because I set the figure, so I can live with that. They will sponsor me for Secret security clearance. (To me... this is great!!)

Now the uncertainty... I would sort of be a sub contractor. While I would be a full time employee and receive benefits and 401k and time off. My job depends on the contract that they have with HP which in turn is contracted with the government. World IT Solutions makes sure to say that this is "At Will" employment. Basically at any time the employer or the employee may part ways.

I love the idea of finally using my certs and stop working desktop support but I have a family to think about too. Does anyone have any experience with World IT Solutions? And does anyone have any advice?

Thanks as always.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have a family and also value stability very highly. You will never catch me working a contract, especially through the government. Everything might work out, but there is much less risk involved with a full time perm position.

The "at will" thing is standard practice though. Just a CYA for the company in case things don't work out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    I have a family and also value stability very highly. You will never catch me working a contract, especially through the government. Everything might work out, but there is much less risk involved with a full time perm position.

The "at will" thing is standard practice though. Just a CYA for the company in case things don't work out.

I say "technically a contract" even though it is not... It is billed as a full time position.

The most attractive part is the clearance.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Full time only means you'll get laid off after the contractors.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    citinerd wrote: »
    I had an interview and a Job offer. Sounds good... but maybe too good. I think I low balled my salary because they gave me what I asked for. This is ok because I set the figure, so I can live with that. They will sponsor me for Secret security clearance. (To me... this is great!!)

Now the uncertainty... I would sort of be a sub contractor. While I would be a full time employee and receive benefits and 401k and time off. My job depends on the contract that they have with HP which in turn is contracted with the government. World IT Solutions makes sure to say that this is "At Will" employment. Basically at any time the employer or the employee may part ways.

I love the idea of finally using my certs and stop working desktop support but I have a family to think about too. Does anyone have any experience with World IT Solutions? And does anyone have any advice?

Thanks as always.

I worked for them out of Norfolk on the NMCI help desk. It was my first real IT job, besides a small job I held at a local computer repair shop. From your post, it sounds like you will be on the NMCI project in some form or fashion.

Your job might differ in what I experienced as it has been some time since I worked there. Heck, EDS was still the main contractor on the project before they got bought by HP. I never had a problem with World IT - but I did feel "less" (not even sure if that is the correct word to use) than the EDS employees. For example, being a sub contractor to EDS (or HP) there seemed to be very little room for error. If a sub contractor messed up, EDS didn't have to fire them; all they did was report back to World IT that you weren't needed anymore. It's kind of a sticky situation, but from what I understand the government requires the sub contractors to avoid one company owning the entire NMCI network.

Don't take this all wrong, it wasn't a bad gig for me at the time, and as long as you don't screw up you will do fine. Depending on how high level your position is, I would at least stay to get the security clearance as it opens up many doors with great (ie, easy) jobs with the government. One thing to note - the end users (Navy and Marines) generally HATE NMCI with a passion. Again, if you are not dealing with customers it shouldn't be too much of a problem but you are generally disliked by those that you work for.

If you have any questions let me know - I can try and answer as best as I can.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dave330i wrote: »
    Full time only means you'll get laid off after the contractors.

Exactly. Why be the first to go?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    I worked for them out of Norfolk on the NMCI help desk. It was my first real IT job, besides a small job I held at a local computer repair shop. From your post, it sounds like you will be on the NMCI project in some form or fashion.

Your job might differ in what I experienced as it has been some time since I worked there. Heck, EDS was still the main contractor on the project before they got bought by HP. I never had a problem with World IT - but I did feel "less" (not even sure if that is the correct word to use) than the EDS employees. For example, being a sub contractor to EDS (or HP) there seemed to be very little room for error. If a sub contractor messed up, EDS didn't have to fire them; all they did was report back to World IT that you weren't needed anymore. It's kind of a sticky situation, but from what I understand the government requires the sub contractors to avoid one company owning the entire NMCI network.

Don't take this all wrong, it wasn't a bad gig for me at the time, and as long as you don't screw up you will do fine. Depending on how high level your position is, I would at least stay to get the security clearance as it opens up many doors with great (ie, easy) jobs with the government. One thing to note - the end users (Navy and Marines) generally HATE NMCI with a passion. Again, if you are not dealing with customers it shouldn't be too much of a problem but you are generally disliked by those that you work for.

If you have any questions let me know - I can try and answer as best as I can.

The position is for a Windows System Administrator. Not that I plan on screwing up but up until now I have only done help desk/desktop support. So it is possible that I overlook something. That scares me.

The thing is I want the experience at a higher level... like networking or system admin. I may try it. I am still up in the air.