Options

How do you store documentation?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious how everyone stores their documentation? I have a wiki then we lock it down by permissions how about you?

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    A sharepoint site, as well as a KB folder on a network drive. Only us 2 techs can view or change the documents.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sharepoint as well.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sharepoint
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sharepoint/Public folders in everyone's Outlook
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Most of our documentation is word files within an IT folder on one of our network drives. Basically I create it all and nobody else except me will ever use it until I leave the company. I'm trying to make sure nobody else has to walk into the shitstorm that I did when I took this position.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    You mean everybody doesn't use MS SharePoint? ;)

Storing documentation SharePoint can do. Organizing documentation is, well, another story... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    people use sharepoint?! :D ive never seen it deployed. Only time there was talk was when i worked for a large corp. How is sharepoint for this kind of thing?

We use a wiki.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Sharepoint/Public folders in everyone's Outlook

Kill it with fire! Public Folders are the devil.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    Kill it with fire! Public Folders are the devil.

Tell me about it. I hope to see them gone with every Exchange major release but they refuse to die.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SharePoint
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You mean everybody doesn't use MS SharePoint? ;)

Storing documentation SharePoint can do. Organizing documentation is, well, another story... icon_sad.gif

Structure and Organization is crazy. I tried to come up with a Folder Structure for a project we will be beginning....let's say it was a task within itself....lol
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another vote for SP here.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    My manager and I setup a SharePoint 2010 server and started putting all kinds of docs and guides in it but then his boss made us start using the companies wiki/file sharing site (we believe it's because SharePoint wasn't his idea and moving to the companies wiki/file sharing site was...needless to say the system we moved to blows and doesn't compare to SharePoint)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Confluence and Sharepoint. We have devotees of both
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Confluence and Sharepoint. We have devotees of both
    I've heard very good things about Confluence (probably here on TE), but have never had an opportunity to try it.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I've heard very good things about Confluence (probably here on TE), but have never had an opportunity to try it.

It's a kickass Wiki software. Plenty of security options, plenty of authentication integration options, markup language is easy, so it's simple to produce really nice looking web pages.

My only complaint is that it's basically a tomcat java app on the backend, which can cause all sorts of headaches, but not all that bad. I was introduced to it here at work, and the 10 user version is only 10 bucks, so I paid for a license and gave it a dedicated VM on my cluster and moved over to it from MediaWiki as my personal documentation repository. We use it along with the Sharepoint Connector for integration. We also use Jira for project management, Crucible and Fisheye for our devs, and use Crowd to tie it all together so we can get single-signon within all the apps. Atlassian makes some pretty good software, and pretty much all of their stuff is 10 bucks for the 10 user licenses, so it's fairly easy to get a good sampling, and if I were setting up a small business, I'd use their products in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, I hate SharePoint. Confluence is AWESOME. If you love SharePoint, wait until you get your hands on Confluence. If you hate SharePoint, wait until you get your hands on Confluence. We used to use SharePoint, and I can honestly say it was the last place I would go for documentation, and I certainly wasn't going through the trouble of modifying anything in SharePoint, nor was I going to add anything to it. Confluence is quite awesome. You can tag everything, and if you get a decent system of tags going, it will be that much easier to make sure you are updating all the relevant documentation when the time comes to rip that Core Switch out of the network.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We also use JIRA for projects. Man, I hate JIRA. I'm much happier with Confluence going.
  • Options
    We also use JIRA for projects. Man, I hate JIRA. I'm much happier with Confluence going.

Honestly, I've yet to find a project management software that I actually like. In the grand scheme of software that I've used, Jira isn't bad.
  • Options
    punkisdead83punkisdead83 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mark us in the public folders category. It's a complete mess, were prepping for a sharepoint deployment though. We also have this wiki intranet page that the lower level supervisors use to relay information going on throughout the operator floor.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have....Excel! Yup each and every customer has an Excel spreadsheet with their various information. This is placed in a folder on a network drive along with various documents for the customer. It sucks big time and I have been fighting for almost two years to get a wiki like replacement. Seems the winds of change are blowing though and management is slowly going along with a wiki like format. I've been looking at Plone as it seems to have some really good built in search features. I was playing with Drupal, but some parts I just didn't like....we shall see!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Question -- aside from using Sharepoint for work/organization documentation storage -- what does everyone use for personal document storage? Organizational methods?

In other words -- for handy how-to's and resolves to nastier issues, do you all typically have your own personal Wikis? No one uses Sharepoint for their own documentation repository, correct?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also use SharePoint for storing documentation :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Question -- aside from using Sharepoint for work/organization documentation storage -- what does everyone use for personal document storage? Organizational methods?

In other words -- for handy how-to's and resolves to nastier issues, do you all typically have your own personal Wikis? No one uses Sharepoint for their own documentation repository, correct?

I don't use Sharepoint at home. I do use Confluence for my personal wiki
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    We use egnyte with desktop sync.

Online Storage, FTP Site, FTP Server, File Sharing, Cloud Storage with Egnyte Cloud File Server

We used Sharepoint for a spell but no one stepped up to the plate to manage and maintain it so it went to the wayside. Most people simply connected to the lists in Outlook and that is how they used it. Not the most efficient use of a server.