Options

Entry Level certification path for IT Field

tmay70tmay70 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, Found this site and it is very informative. However haven't found anything in regards to my dilemma. I am in my 40's now. After being involved in managing millions of dollars in inventory for the last 20 years. I have decided to get into the IT field. I have no experience other than trying to figure out whats wrong with my home computer and network. I am looking for the right certification path to eventually get into security. I would like to get a job in the IT field as I continue to work for that. So, with that in mind, what would be the best path for me.
TIA

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Start off with A+, it is a basics to everything computers.

Second, get your Net+ if you want to elaborate a little more on networks.

Third, if you want to get into security a good first place to begin is Sec+.

These are all CompTIA exams, there are seperate forums here on TE specifically about them.

Good luck and let us know how we can help more, welcome to TE Forums!
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I'm with Devilry.

Start with A+, then Network+, then Security+. After that, you will probably know which direction you will go. One piece of advice though, don't purchase vouchers for all three right off, just do one at a time. Also, make sure you don't spend thousands of dollars preparing for these tests, they aren't designed to be "killer tests". Just pick up a book or two and then take the test.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Yes agreed ^^^

Don't do anything but self-study if possible, there is more than plenty material out there, and these are easy exams.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    A+, MCP (70-270) then MCTIP

IMO, you won't touch any networks for any employers for a good while, concentrate on mastering XP (especially in the workplace)... Get a couple years experience down with that then switch over and learn some networking, if you're experienced you can skip the N+ and possibly move into CCNET.

I'm taking N+ since I bought the book already.

P.S Is their any entry level jobs that don't require much speaking? Something besides Helpdesk and phone support jobs....
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like everyone else said, A+, Network+, and then Security+. Learning them in order will help you out on each certification. After you're done with Security+ you can either think about going into other security certifications or possibly the Cisco route. Going the Cisco route will help you understand how networks are configured. You'll learn how to configure switches/routers and understand WAN technologies. From there you can go into network security specializations.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S