Options

Mobile Device Management - Anyone using Good Technologies?

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Anyone currently using or planning on using mobile device management? Specifically Good since I believe it is the only product that can do encryption on the device.

If so, wanted to hear some feedback on it.
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    We have Tangoe's MDM right now. Not fully implemented or in use yet, and we may be ditching it. I really liked McAfee's solution when I looked into it.
  • Options
    I invested in McAfee, but not implemented yet. Good is getting a lot of attention though. Encryption being the main feature everyone else is lacking.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I invested in McAfee, but not implemented yet. Good is getting a lot of attention though. Encryption being the main feature everyone else is lacking.

McAfee EMM has encryption... what makes you think everyone else is lacking it? I think it's a pretty standard feature...
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    McAfee EMM has encryption... what makes you think everyone else is lacking it? I think it's a pretty standard feature...

Not to the extent Good does....which essentially encrypts a slice of the device. Everyone else uses whatever is on the device.

McAfee EMM
    Do you support data encryption on phones
    and other devices, including encryption of
    an SD card?
    A: We encourage the use of encryption and, to
    assure high performance and data integrity, we
    work with native hardware-based encryption
    rather than providing this function in software.
    We can detect and block devices that are not
    using encryption. For Windows Mobile, McAfee
    EMM encrypts the entire phone, including
    the SD card, and you can turn encryption on
    and off. For Apple, every device beginning
    with 3GS is natively encrypted with hardwarebased
    encryption (includes iPads and latest iPod
    Touches). For Android 3.0 and later, we take
    advantage of encryption capabilities provided
    within each device.
  • Options
    Why the requirement for something beyond a device's native encryption abilities? Why isn't enforcing encryption on a device enough?

Need encryption but device doesn't support encryption? Set policy to block the device, and tell users you won't support it. Most devices released over the last few years can do encryption, you just have to turn it on. If your MDM forces it to be on for all devices that connect to your network, I'd think that'd be enough.
  • Options
    Everyone wrote: »
    Why the requirement for something beyond a device's native encryption abilities? Why isn't enforcing encryption on a device enough?

Need encryption but device doesn't support encryption? Set policy to block the device, and tell users you won't support it. Most devices released over the last few years can do encryption, you just have to turn it on. If your MDM forces it to be on for all devices that connect to your network, I'd think that'd be enough.

It's called working in government. :\

And one of the security guys around here cracked an iPad in less than 2 hours.

All of our laptops receive full disk encryption that can be centrally managed. Considering what smartphones and tablets could be used for....they would prefer the same thing. It hasn't been labeled a requirement yet, but would prefer it without a doubt I bet. RFI to come.
  • Options
    It's called working in government. :\
    You mean they're finally exploring options beyond Blackberries? :p Been a few years since I worked for the Government. Back when I did, it was Blackberry or nothing for mobile devices.
  • Options
    Blackberry, although the currently approved device...is a sinking ship. RIM would have to pull a miracle product out of their ass to stay afloat. ;)
  • Options
    Blackberry, although the currently approved device...is a sinking ship. RIM would have to pull a miracle product out of their ass to stay afloat. ;)

Agreed, been saying that for years now. Unfortunately the Government won't give them up that easily.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have a customer using Good and it is ok. From an enforcement standpoint it is pretty good and we get alerts when it finds devices that are rooted/jailbroke and wipes them (or whatever policy you have in place for it). I found their support to be a bit lacking and the client can be a pain in the butt when it doesn't work properly. We've had limited exposure to it as the customers internal support team pretty much deals with it for the most part, but every so often they ask us to step in.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    We have a customer using Good and it is ok. From an enforcement standpoint it is pretty good and we get alerts when it finds devices that are rooted/jailbroke and wipes them (or whatever policy you have in place for it). I found their support to be a bit lacking and the client can be a pain in the butt when it doesn't work properly. We've had limited exposure to it as the customers internal support team pretty much deals with it for the most part, but every so often they ask us to step in.

The client seems to be the hardest part of it from what I've heard. I am surprised more people here aren't commenting on this. This really is a huge issue in terms of access, security and productivity. Especially if you're a large organization or an arm of government.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most of our customers are still using Blackberries and when they released BES Express for free they jumped on it. I know that RIM has announced they were planning to extend BES to work with iPhones/Android devices. We shall see..
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    We use Mobile Iron. It offers the most comprehensive mobile device management I have ever seen. They also have a cloud based solution as well. Personally I hate "Good".
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Chivalry1 wrote: »
    We use Mobile Iron. It offers the most comprehensive mobile device management I have ever seen. They also have a cloud based solution as well. Personally I hate "Good".

Can you elaborate on your feelings about Good?
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have to second the "hating" of Good. We use it at work and while it does it's job of managing devices email, encryption, etc. there are some serious flaws and missing factors. For one thing...when it checks for mail it will notify you of new mail, however when you open the app the mail isn't there it still has to connect and "download" the messages. This is really annoying and sucks when you are in a low coverage area. For another thing, the Good app becomes "hosed" whenever you upgrade to a new version of the phone. For example, when moving from iOS 4 to iOS 5 you will need to reinstall the Good app, contact the Good admin and have them issue you a new activation code, and then wait for you mail to resync all over again. This is a horrible issue.

Someone else mentioned Mobile Iron and I would gladly sing their praises! Not only do they have an insanely great product for managing mobile devices + email, but they can also help with app store control, and allow you to create your own internal app store as well. They are way beyond Good in terms of device management...not just encrypted email (like Good). They also have a distributed architecture for failover and load balancing as well.

I have worked with quite a few different mobile device solutions recently and so far I've seem the best results with Mobile Iron. Let me know if you want more info.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The InfoSec team here (which includes myself) is supposed to begin piloting Good early next year from what I hear. I'm looking forward to it. I'm getting tired of carrying around 2 phones.
    :study: