Options

Spanning tree 1 is broken port type

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Disregard I figured out what I was doing wrong - sorry for the trouble. Admin can Delete Post if you wish

The port was configured as a Multi Vlan Port instead of a true Trunk, and thats what had everything messed up.

Good evening.

I have unpacked my physical lab since moving into my new house, and I have been working my way back through my CCNA studies.

I have an old 2924 switch in my lab that's giving me some trouble. I am trying to setup a 3 switch Spanning-tree topology. My other 2 switches are 2950's and they do the trunking and spanning tree configs with ease just like all the books and vids have taught me.

Nonetheless, I have a trunk running from my 2950 to the 2924

Both links are UP and Up and Trunked 802.1q

My problem is that Spanning tree on the 2924 is blocking my trunk port, for when I do a Show Spanning tree it says Spanning Tree 1 is Broken ( Port Type ) This is FA0/1 on the 2924

I tried to check the 2924 to make sure it was running PVST+ like my 2950, but since it either does not have the option or I cant find it. I know the CLI is a bit different on the 2924.

I am not really sure what else to try, but I am pretty confident the problem is with the 2924, for the 2950 is in FWD FWD on all links.

I know these kind of posts are hard to decipher, but I do appreciate any help.

Also one other thing to note, is that if I double up ion the trunks coming off the 2950 to the 2924 both links come up.. and everything works as advertised. The problem arises when I take away one of the links.

The topology is nothing more than the 3 switch triangle that all our study material uses to explain spanning tree.

Thanks again, and please let me know what Show or Command you all would like to see. I did not want to add more confusion to the mix so please just ask.

I am begining to lean more towards the problem being 2 differnt SPT modes. the 2950 is PVST+ and I believe the 2924 is running MST, for I got an error stating " One or more ports is already configured and a multi VLAN Mode port" I got that when I tried to make Fa0/2 a trunk for the triangle topology.
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security