Options

Associate degree motivation

So I've been working like crazy for the last year to getting an A.S degree. I'm now to a point where I really only need to do my classes for my major. I also have plans to get a B.S eventually but i want an A.S first so I have something to show for myself. I hear alot of people knock the Associates degree and call it things like a half degree. And im just beginning to feel like the time im investing in getting one is useless. SO i'd like to hear some stories about how the Associate degree has helped people out! Lets get positive!

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I earned my AAS in Networking in June and it transferred in quite a few classes at WGU for me, so I'd say an Associates is great. It's a good step to moving onto Bachelor's and Master degrees.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As Psoasman said, an Associate's degree can be a stepping-stone for transfer to a four-year school. However, I've also seen many cases where IT professionals do very well with an A.S., particularly if they push hard for certs.

Every job I've held so far has listed a Bachelor's degree as a requirement for employment, and I've yet to take either an Associate's or a Bachelor's. I believe that having a two-year or four-year degree would have made things easier, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two in terms of entry-level or mid-level work in this field, (at least, in my neck of the woods.) Even senior-level network engineers and systems administrators I've known have only held Associate's degrees.

To the point: a degree will definitely not hurt you, and can definitely help both in your job-search and during later stages of your career. While a Bachelor's degree is good, (and graduate-level degrees are generally preferred,) don't sell an Associate's degree short. You can go a long way with a two-year degree, potentially much further than someone with only a high school diploma or a GED.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My AAS in Networking has been good for me. For one thing it was an encouragement to me that I can make it, and two it helped me land a great job which I'm currently working at. I don't knock Associate degrees by any means.
  • Options
    Maverick918Maverick918 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go for your Associates and really press hard for it. If I were you (and I wish i would have done this) I would push really hard to get as many Certifications as possible while I was still in school. I hold 3 CompTIA certs right now and I got them all post-associates degree. You can do really well without a bachelors but don't not go for it if it's really what you want.

My advice to you is to get your associates, some certs and then try and get into the field. Get as much experience as you can.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I earned my AAS in Networking in June and it transferred in quite a few classes at WGU for me, so I'd say an Associates is great. It's a good step to moving onto Bachelor's and Master degrees.

They didnt transfer all of your AAS at WGU? That is weird, I thought the policy says they would clear all general ed when you have an Associates.

To the OP, associates is a great way to have a degree of some type to "check the box'' on the application while on the path to bachelors, IMHO. Just don't stop there, would be my recommendation.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    While I feel an AAS in itself is fairly worthless (I had mine before I even received my high school diploma), it's definitely a great stepping stone to a four-year degree.

For most universities it depends on both what school your AAS came from as well as what it's in. Do your research and make sure your AAS will directly transfer!
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    They didnt transfer all of your AAS at WGU? That is weird, I thought the policy says they would clear all general ed when you have an Associates.

WGU website states " you may be able to clear a significant amount of lower level courses", which I did, along with my current certs.
    An AA or AS would probably clear all of the lower level GEs
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    So I've been working like crazy for the last year to getting an A.S degree. I'm now to a point where I really only need to do my classes for my major. I also have plans to get a B.S eventually but i want an A.S first so I have something to show for myself. I hear alot of people knock the Associates degree and call it things like a half degree. And im just beginning to feel like the time im investing in getting one is useless. SO i'd like to hear some stories about how the Associate degree has helped people out! Lets get positive!

I realize Associates' degrees have their detractors, BUT. . .

It is a VERY NICE stepping stone. It's great to have that piece of paper to validate what you've done. There are also some career opportunities that require an Associate's as a minimum, so it's far from useless.

And WGU is not the only school that will take an Associate's to wipe out General Ed requirements. Far from it. By any stretch, that Associate's is EXTREMELY handy for the next step should you look to accelerate a Bachelor's degree.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    I realize Associates' degrees have their detractors, BUT. . .

It is a VERY NICE stepping stone. It's great to have that piece of paper to validate what you've done. There are also some career opportunities that require an Associate's as a minimum, so it's far from useless.

And WGU is not the only school that will take an Associate's to wipe out General Ed requirements. Far from it. By any stretch, that Associate's is EXTREMELY handy for the next step should you look to accelerate a Bachelor's degree.

In NJ, an AS/AA means that you have satisifed the required for your first two years if you go to a state school (I always felt this should have been the case regardless.) But folks go in automatically as a junior.

I told my niece that an AA is just to get into a 4 year (she's knocking out all of the GE stuff because her stupid mom [my sister] couldn't put her in a 4 year school but that's neither here nor there). Having an associates is the beginning, not the end, of college. That's how I felt and always feel like. I was able (up until this point) get by with "some college" but I have to tell you....it's not good enough anymore.

WGU is definitely not the only place to go with an AA/AS...your own state schools should be able to honor those as well.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    While I feel an AAS in itself is fairly worthless (I had mine before I even received my high school diploma), it's definitely a great stepping stone to a four-year degree.

For most universities it depends on both what school your AAS came from as well as what it's in. Do your research and make sure your AAS will directly transfer!

An AAS is a professional degree. If you are using an AAS to get/keep a job, then it is not "useless."

An AS/AA is an academic degree. It is a great stepping stone to continue on to a 4 year school if you could not get in one for a multitude of reasons.

But I would not treat an AAS as an academic degree. That's essentially what WGU did, and ONLY for IT students as well.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    erpadmin wrote: »
    An AAS is a professional degree. If you are using an AAS to get/keep a job, then it is not "useless."

An AS/AA is an academic degree. It is a great stepping stone to continue on to a 4 year school if you could not get in one for a multitude of reasons.

But I would not treat an AAS as an academic degree. That's essentially what WGU did, and ONLY for IT students as well.

Interesting...

My AAS was an academic degree. It's purpose (as described by the school) was for transfering into a four-year university. Sounds like they may have their classifications a bit off. My degree is officially an AAS:Direct Transfer Agreement.
  • Options
    tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My AAS degree was great it got my foot in the door of IT. I work for a school system and have access to some very cool technologies and experience. ECU has a great transfer program for AAS degrees I will finish my 4 year degree 2.5 years after my AAS. Good Luck!!!!
  • Options
    Interesting...

My AAS was an academic degree. It's purpose (as described by the school) was for transfering into a four-year university. Sounds like they may have their classifications a bit off. My degree is officially an AAS:Direct Transfer Agreement.

I had to google this as I just saw this now.

Do you have an Associates in Arts and Sciences or an Associates in Applied Science?

Because whenever I see AAS, I always think of the latter. The former would in fact be an academic degree and would qualify for WA schools' Direct Transfer Agreements.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am getting My A.A.S because I wanted to advance my education AND it will transfer over to a BS MIS very easily. All of the jobs I have had required BS degrees but I was able to pull them in with practical experience and certs. Do I think the AAS will make a big difference on my resume? No. But having some education may help me move into jobs I don't know about yet. I truthfully only want knowledge and I could care less about a piece of paper. However you have to have a BS to get into the local law school in my neck of the woods so I don't have much choice.
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    Cool stuff guys. Glad to hear the Associate has worked for people despite alot of the negative things I hear. Truth be told Im debating work and school right now. Im 9 classes away from getting my Associates. However my job is preventing me from taking classes I need to finish. I really wanna finish school but am afraid of becoming unemployed for a long period of time.
  • Options
    However you have to have a BS to get into the local law school in my neck of the woods so I don't have much choice.

You can always move to California and make that your neck of the woods. (You don't need a BS to take the bar exam over there.)

State Bar of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    California State Bar Law Office Study Program The California State Bar Law Office Study Program allows California residents to become California attorneys without graduating from college or law school, assuming they meet basic pre-legal educational requirements.[33] (If the candidate has no college degree, he or she may take and pass the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).) The Bar candidate must study under a judge or lawyer for four years and must also pass the Baby Bar within three administrations after first becoming eligible to take the examination. They are then eligible to take the California Bar Examination.

(Only reason I knew this was because a friend of mine mentioned it awhile ago...LOLs were shared... :) )
  • Options
    Interesting...

My AAS is a direct transfer, as well. My school had a direct transfer agreement with one of the local universities. I think it really depends on the state and the schools involved, as to what criteria is acceptable.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You can always move to California and make that your neck of the woods. (You don't need a BS to take the bar exam over there.)

State Bar of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Only reason I knew this was because a friend of mine mentioned it awhile ago...LOLs were shared... :) )

I actually knew about this and if I had intentions of going to Cali to live, I would totally do it ( I have family there but most of them are looking to leave). I think more states need to go this route. Apprenticeship would be the way to go for many, many careers.

Psoasman wrote: »
    My AAS is a direct transfer, as well. My school had a direct transfer agreement with one of the local universities. I think it really depends on the state and the schools involved, as to what criteria is acceptable.

Around here, most of the AAS degrees are "career degrees" meaning they aren't designed for folks who want to transfer to a 4 year school rather for folks who want to go into the workforce immediately.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    More and more employers are accepting AA/AS degrees for jobs that require a college degree. Going that route could get you a better job or internship at least two years sooner than waiting to get your BA/BS.

People usually like tracks that gets them two certs instead of just one (e.g., CCENT/CCNA), so why not get two degrees in the same time it would take to get just one?
  • Options
    ubermichubermich Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool stuff guys. Glad to hear the Associate has worked for people despite alot of the negative things I hear. Truth be told Im debating work and school right now. Im 9 classes away from getting my Associates. However my job is preventing me from taking classes I need to finish. I really wanna finish school but am afraid of becoming unemployed for a long period of time.

FINISH YOUR DEGREE! I PROMISE it's easier to finish now than get back into it later. If you have to break down those 9 classes into 3 semesters then so be it, but get the stupid thing DONE. I will be finishing my AA in teaching in the spring... EIGHT YEARS after I began school because I thought I needed to go focus on work. The positive is I know why I'm in school now, which I didn't know seven years ago. But it is not worth the struggle! Work with your employer as much as possible, talk to the school about different classes. If you're going to finish your bachelor's (again, DO THIS), talk to your top university choices about how many of those 9 classes will transfer. If only a couple will transfer, then just take those and move on to university. If you're unsure about university right now, focus with intensity on getting that piece of paper.
    $0.02