Microsoft Recertification Policies

From Born to Learn:
MNC: What is Microsoft hearing from its MCPs?

DON: This past summer, we surveyed MCPs and hiring managers who might consider hiring or promoting MCPs for their take on a number of issues, including recertification. Recertification is one way that others in the certification industry are responding to the rapidly evolving pace of technology.

The response to recertification as a part of the solution was largely positive: 65 percent were positive or very positive about requiring candidates to demonstrate continued competence and 84 percent were neutral or positive on the idea.

Seventy-five percent of survey participants thought recertification would have a positive or very positive impact on the value of the program. An overwhelming 93 percent answered that recertification would have either no impact or a positive impact on the value of the program.

Respondents also agreed, for the most part, that a two- to three-year interval between exams would be about right for recertification. There is additional information about recertification on our website here: Microsoft Certification Exam Registration Questions l Exam Preparation FAQ l Exam Policies.
Ensuring Integrity of Our Certification Program - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Guess I was in the vocal minority on that one. I can understand Cloud-based products that continually evolve rather than having defined release versions require some type of recertification, but I don't believe standard server and client exams should require recertification. What tests require recertification now?
Q. What is the recertification requirement?

A. In order to ensure that our certifications are meaningful and valuable indicators of candidates’ skills, Microsoft has implemented a recertification requirement for MCPD: Windows Azure Developer and MCPD: Windows Phone Developer. This requirement will also apply to the upcoming Professional-level SQL Server 2012 certifications. Windows Azure and Windows Phone certifications will require recertification every two years, while SQL Server 2012 certifications will require recertification every three years. Initially, the recertification requirement will be one or two exams.
Q. Will MCTS certifications require recertification also?

A. This requirement does not apply to MCTS certifications.

Microsoft Certification Exam Registration Questions l Exam Preparation FAQ l Exam Policies

Microsoft has also posted the MCTS and MCITP exam information for the Office 365 certifications. (No word on when the beta begins.) I bet these tests will require recertification as well when they are publicly released.

Comments

• jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I don't know... I can kind of see it, for the most part, especially if they're going to do a R2 release for every platform going forward. 2008 R2 is a totally different animal from the original release.

But I guess we'll see. Personally, I doubt I peruse any MS server certs beyond 2008 EA, unless my employer pays for them.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Microsoft's product lifecycle implements recertification. MCSE 2003 has had a long run, but it's a different certification than MCITP:EA because they involve different products. As 2003 leaves production environments more and more, MCSE naturally becomes less valuable. Those with an MCSE will need to upgrade to MCIPT:EA or the next MS certification program.

It doesn't make sense to require recertification on certifications that go obsolete with technology. As long as MS doesn't continue to reuse the existing MCITP program with the next iteration of its products, it shouldn't be necessary to require recertification. In three or four years, I'll be upgrading my MCITP Enterprise Administrator to whatever they come out with, just as a recently upgraded my MCSA. As long as they keep the product lifecycle at 3-5 years for new releases, recertification is redundant.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340