Options

The next step..

ChrisRiceChrisRice Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, relatively new here but I have been following some of the recent topics and am slowly learning my way around. I was given to the link to here by my instructor as he said it may help me with exam resources. However, I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers as to where I should go next with regards to certifications and working.

I am only 18, but I have always had a passion for IT, and can pick things up extremely quickly. I studied a 2-year BTEC Course at College, which included all 4 of the CCNA: Discovery semesters and the related labs, though I have not yet sat the CCNA certification exam. I am currently an Apprentice Support Technician at a Zenos Academy.

Here I am studying towards the A+, MTA (98-366 & 98-349) and MCTS (70-680) certifications. I have also chosen to sit the Network+ and MCITP:EST (70-685) certifications while I am here as they are discounted. I should have all of these certifications by Jan 6th 2012, bearing in mind I only started this course in September, and as it is an apprenticeship I have had assignments to do as well. It is super-intensive as we have around 2 weeks learning and revision time for each certification, except for the N+ and MCITP:EST, as I have to self-teach myself these using whatever resources I can find. I intend to sit the two ICND(640-822 & 640 816) exams for my CCNA once I have gained my other certifications.

My main aim is to have a career in security, though I am erring towards being in management one day. We recently had Todd Lammle come in and talk to us about a career in networking. He says that VoIP and Cloud are going to become huge in the next couple of years, but I am unsure about how I would get into these areas, or how I could link them to a career in security.

If you need anymore information related to what I can do, feel free to ask. Any comments are welcome!

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Do you have any real-world IT job experience? I'd like more information on how your apprenticeship works, it sounds like just classes.

Stacking up on certs doesn't help if you don't have the experience to back them up. I'd suggest you complete your A+, 70-680 and 70-685 then find a entry level full time job while completing the rest.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ChrisRice wrote: »
    Hi guys, relatively new here but I have been following some of the recent topics and am slowly learning my way around. I was given to the link to here by my instructor as he said it may help me with exam resources. However, I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers as to where I should go next with regards to certifications and working.

I am only 18, but I have always had a passion for IT, and can pick things up extremely quickly. I studied a 2-year BTEC Course at College, which included all 4 of the CCNA: Discovery semesters and the related labs, though I have not yet sat the CCNA certification exam. I am currently an Apprentice Support Technician at a Zenos Academy.

Here I am studying towards the A+, MTA (98-366 & 98-349) and MCTS (70-680) certifications. I have also chosen to sit the Network+ and MCITP:EST (70-685) certifications while I am here as they are discounted. I should have all of these certifications by Jan 6th 2012, bearing in mind I only started this course in September, and as it is an apprenticeship I have had assignments to do as well. It is super-intensive as we have around 2 weeks learning and revision time for each certification, except for the N+ and MCITP:EST, as I have to self-teach myself these using whatever resources I can find. I intend to sit the two ICND(640-822 & 640 816) exams for my CCNA once I have gained my other certifications.

My main aim is to have a career in security, though I am erring towards being in management one day. We recently had Todd Lammle come in and talk to us about a career in networking. He says that VoIP and Cloud are going to become huge in the next couple of years, but I am unsure about how I would get into these areas, or how I could link them to a career in security.

If you need anymore information related to what I can do, feel free to ask. Any comments are welcome!

Unbelievable, Todd Lammle getting a plane to Preston. That should tell you a lot. Where you are you have a ticket to certifications which is good, but what you really need is experience. Make a list of doors to beat on to get experience either fulltime, part time or unpaid. Then beat on them.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    do your ccna exams while the info is still in your head
    then go get experience

Then once you are in a job and have settled in, go get ccnp then look at security and voip.

Thats what I'm aiming to do myself.
    Currently finishing off thesis(undergrad capstone project) then on to ccna then ccnp
    while finishing off the last 4 uni subjects (been 11 years part time) next year.
    Currently working in embedded systems/systems (microcontrollers, fpgas etc)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    @Akari; It is just classes September to January, then I get a 6 month work experience somewhere (I'm hoping HP, Fujitsu or similar, since that's what I've been told) and then if the placement don't want to take you on full-time afterwards the academy help you find a job. However, I can't sit exams during placement apparently, which is why I'm stacking now as opposed to waiting til next summer.

@Alxx; I don't have the time to revise it and fit an exam in alongside my current certifications, otherwise I would..
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Do you have any real-world IT job experience? I'd like more information on how your apprenticeship works, it sounds like just classes.Stacking up on certs doesn't help if you don't have the experience to back them up. I'd suggest you complete your A+, 70-680 and 70-685 then find a entry level full time job while completing the rest.
    Well, I should have explained the apprenticeship fully. I do September - January in the office, Mon-Fri; 9-5 learning work skills and for the certs, alongside mandatory assignments that the government has said we must do to be able to take the cert exams on the course. Then in January I go on a 6 month work placement somewhere. As I don't know anyone in the industry, they're going to get me a placement, and as I'm one of the higher achievers it's likely that I'll end up somewhere like HP or Fujitsu. Once the placement is over, either the company where I did a placement will keep me on, or I find another job with Zenos' help. Not sure how relevant it is, but Zenos is owned by Pearson.
    alxx wrote: »
    do your ccna exams while the info is still in your headthen go get experienceThen once you are in a job and have settled in, go get ccnp then look at security and voip.Thats what I'm aiming to do myself. Currently finishing off thesis(undergrad capstone project) then on to ccna then ccnpwhile finishing off the last 4 uni subjects (been 11 years part time) next year.Currently working in embedded systems/systems (microcontrollers, fpgas etc)
    I would have already done it if I'd had the chance, which is why I want to take the ICND exams because I can spread out the revision for the topics.