Options

Resume Networking Skills Section Critique

Hey guys,

I'm about to submit this Resume for a Networking internship.

I plan to have my ICND1 certification by mid-January, and hope to have the ICND2 done by the time this internship starts (June 2012). That being said, I wanted to put some information on my Resume that shows I know a few of the Networking protocols/terms.

How does it look so far, specifically the technical skills section. How can I make the network portion flow a bit better?

Thanks for your help!

Resume.pdf

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You're in college man, you don't have to put your K-12 school anymore icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I think It looks pretty decent, I like the format. It would seem you have been busting your hump while in school and soaking up every opportunity you can,keep it up I am sure you will do fine.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

So I should leave my high school career off? LOL. I just assumed I should leave it on there but I guess thinking more about it I don't see anyone with their high school experience on their resumes.
  • Options
    Yeah...as you move through certain phases in life, you start curtailing your relevant experience/information.

For example, there will be a point where you stop listing your student worker positions. At this point, I would drop the pre-college education.

Also...you should do your best to condense it to one page. You have a lot of white space and a larger font size..

And pahlease tell me you're not using that font for your name? Alternative fonts should only be used for niche markets/positions, IMHO.
  • Options
    I originally had it condensed to one page but felt that it looked like there was too little white space. I will attach my original draft as well so you can see what I'm talking about. I also didn't have the Networking section under Technical skills on there either.

The font size is 9.5 in the content of all the sections, with the headings of each section being 12 point size.

I was going to use the Batman font as the font for my name because I felt it would catch the eye of the reader. I figured the otherwise professional look of the resume wouldn't have him just immediately reject my resume from application. I figure these guys read resumes all day; anything I can do to spice it up a bit to have him spend a bit more time and read it all the way through would be beneficial for me.

Or, should I just change it back to the same font the rest of the resume is written in?

1pg resume.pdf?
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Also...you should do your best to condense it to one page. You have a lot of white space and a larger font size..

I respectfully disagree with the idea of keeping a resume to one page. If you don't have much experience, then by all means the resume will be short, since you probably don't have relevant information to make the resume longer. As you gain experience, then the resume should be longer (My resume is 3 pages) because you want to really convey your depth of knowledge and experience, and keeping it to one page just won't cut it. When I was in school, everyone said that your resume should be one page, when I left school, I kept my resume at one page because that was what I was told to do. I wasn't getting call backs for awhile and a friend of mine looked at my resume...he asked me why it was only one page and I told him that I always thought the resume should be kept short. Well he showed me the resume of one of his friends and it was 3 pages...I actually had more experience than the other guy, but since I kept my resume so short it looked as if I lacked experience. I completely rewrote my resume, and I get calls from jobs now even when I'm not actively looking.

Maybe in other industries a short resume is good, but I have found that in IT people want to know what you have accomplished, they want to know that you won't hit the wrong button and bring everything down, the way you convince them of that is your interview, and your resume. Don't get excessive, I would not have a 5-page resume because then it would be too much...3 pages seem to be a good fit. I list my education and technical skills, followed by my work experience...I go into detail if it's a project that was really intricate, and I keep it brief on day-to-day tasks.

Overall your resume looks nice, I would go into detail on a few past jobs...for example: If you had some project where you had to upgrade x number of devices, I would go into detail about how you planned the upgrade, the number of devices you upgraded per day, and how long the project took. Don't do that everywhere, just on big projects....good luck.
  • Options
    Eh..

It depends on the situation you're going for. For his college internship, a page should be sufficient. Also there is opportunity for more information in the cover letter, and if he tickles their fancy, then he can explain the projects in depth.

Also, I wasn't saying every resume should be one page.
  • Options
    Thanks guys the only part I am unsure of now is the Networking section. Does it seem like I should rearrange the protocols at all in some sort of order or is it fine how I have it?

The resume is still over 1 page but I filled in some more white space on pg1 so I think it flows / is a bit more visually appearing than before.

As always, I'm open to more suggestions.

Combined.pdf