How to secure your PC in 10 easy steps | How To - CNET

lets see what else we can add

id add use bitlocker
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    Lock down your wireless connection with something better than WEP and turn off SSID broadcasting. Use more complex passwords. Stop using Facebook. Lock down accounts of less computer inclined folks so that they can't fall for anything dumb.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Avoid sharing your computer. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Nice post! +1 for you!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use something like Arpwatch to help detect man in the middle attacks.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Disabling SSID broadcasting really won't help. When your wireless card connects to the AP the SSID will be visable (to someone use KISMET, NetStumbler, etc). Best bet is to use WPA2 encryption and/or use MAC address filtering.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Avoid sharing your computer. ;)

+1
    Just finished cleaning two clients computers…and it was a daunting task to say the least. Supposedly the client gave her brother the two computers she owned and he messed both of them up. The Windows 7 computer had pc optimizer running on it(a rogue program), and the other machine( Windows XP) had some max pc program running.
    The Windows 7 computer had 104 infected objects!! According to Malware Bytes!! I had to reinstall Windows7 , because Malware bytes couldn’t get rid of the rogue program. Also, I tried editing the registry , but I couldn’t pull all the parts of the program out of Windows 7 registry.
    The Windows XP Machine took a lot longer, but finally cleaned that one without doing a reinstall. Thank god because it was a laptop that didn’t have a recovery partition.

Here are some good sources that end users can watch to helping prevent infections:
    http://www.staysafeonline.org/sites/default/files/resource_documents/STC%20tips%20and%20advice_0.pdf
    Webinar - Security Basics: Keep your Computers Safe - 2010-10-28 - YouTube
    When you have computers connected to the internet or to any external device, you need to take precautions. There are threats present that can not only cause harm to your computers, but could damage files on your network or potentially put sensitive data at risk. This webinar will help you understand what the threats are and how your computers can get infected.

Kami Griffiths from TechSoup interviews Marian Merritt, an Internet Safety Advocate from Symantec Corporation who explains what employees should know and what activities can be problematic.

This webinar is ideal for anyone who seeks a basic understanding of security threats or needs a refresher course.
    BBC - WebWise - Safety online
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/password-checker.aspx
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Disabling SSID broadcasting really won't help. When your wireless card connects to the AP the SSID will be visable (to someone use KISMET, NetStumbler, etc). Best bet is to use WPA2 encryption and/or use MAC address filtering.

While MAC address filtering may deter the 12 year old script kiddie, it does not really much else as MAC addresses are easily spoofed.

The best is as you said, WPA2 w/ a long random non dictionary word.
  • Options
    +1
    Just finished cleaning two clients computers…and it was a daunting task to say the least. Supposedly the client gave her brother the two computers she owned and he messed both of them up. The Windows 7 computer had pc optimizer running on it(a rogue program), and the other machine( Windows XP) had some max pc program running.
    The Windows 7 computer had 104 infected objects!! According to Malware Bytes!! I had to reinstall Windows7 , because Malware bytes couldn’t get rid of the rogue program. Also, I tried editing the registry , but I couldn’t pull all the parts of the program out of Windows 7 registry.
    The Windows XP Machine took a lot longer, but finally cleaned that one without doing a reinstall. Thank god because it was a laptop that didn’t have a recovery partition.

Here are some good sources that end users can watch to helping prevent infections:
    http://www.staysafeonline.org/sites/default/files/resource_documents/STC tips and advice_0.pdf
    Webinar - Security Basics: Keep your Computers Safe - 2010-10-28 - YouTube
    When you have computers connected to the internet or to any external device, you need to take precautions. There are threats present that can not only cause harm to your computers, but could damage files on your network or potentially put sensitive data at risk. This webinar will help you understand what the threats are and how your computers can get infected.

Kami Griffiths from TechSoup interviews Marian Merritt, an Internet Safety Advocate from Symantec Corporation who explains what employees should know and what activities can be problematic.

This webinar is ideal for anyone who seeks a basic understanding of security threats or needs a refresher course.
    BBC - WebWise - Safety online
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/password-checker.aspx

You reinstalled an OS because Malwarebytes could not remove something? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NewManSoon wrote: »
    You reinstalled an OS because Malwarebytes could not remove something? icon_rolleyes.gif

I was trying to fix it in one day. It was fake antivirus program that keeps asking you to buy the pro version of the program. I ran Malware bytes, and it removed some of the items , but some parts were still there. After that I went to add remove programs and removed the program yet it was still there.

How to uninstall PC Optimizer Pro

Then I went and edited the registry , so that I could remove the virus with no luck.
    1. How do you uninstall pc optimizer pro ?

After uninstalling, clean the registry files:

1.Click "start" >run >Enter "regedit' >Ok.

2. Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EB5A3A22-ECA7-4… remove the key which include PCOptProCtxMenu.

3. Remove HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\PCOptimizerPro

4. Remove HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Win… Menu2\Programs\PC Optimizer Pro

5. Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Win… the key name which include PCOptimizerPro.exe, for example, name:d:\Program Files\PC Optimizer Pro\PCOptimizerPro.exe,

6. Remove HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PC Optimizer Pro

Finally I just did a reinstall
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor