SQL 2008 exams - too late to study?

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have just realized - SQL server 2012 will be out in the first half of 2012. And I am still studying (a year already!) for 70-432 (SQL 2008 ). Don't want to give up just yet, but it made me feel depressed about the technology progress and how I can catch up with it. And yeah, I already tried two times to pass 70-432. Failed both with ~600.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I doubt they will retire the 2008 exams any time soon. They just recently retired the 2005 tests I believe.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm gonna give you a real world scenario on RDBMS upgrades. It can take ANYWHERE from a year to several years to go to the next release.

Many vendor applications that are dependant on an RDBMS have to go through a period of certification before they will approve a RDBMS upgrade. Even then, you still have third-party applications that require the RDBMS that have to go through their own certification.

Even when you have all of that, there is a period of UAT (User Acceptance Testing) that has to happen.

Many production environments are still on SQL Server 2000 for this very reason. We just upgraded from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 last year. From there, we just upgraded SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2 just a few weeks ago. Even with that, there was heavy user testing. System backups had to be made, as we (I) made the decision to perform in-place upgrades (which I have to say, was probably the smoothest in-place upgrade ever...)

My point is, when SQL Server 2012 becomes available, we won't be going there immediately. Many production shops won't. So if you are going to start studying for SQL Server 2008, you should do so and not worry about going to SQL Server 2012.

It is irresponsible to immediately jump on the newest release just because it's there without doing any production testing. Folks who tend to go to the latest release are usually shops that will be using a vendor application for the first time and/or shops who are by nature early adopters. Many shops do not fall into the latter category.