Lab Study Strategies

PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
So .. in my workbook review process, I'm also planning out my strategy to attack this behemoth of a test. I'm 95% certain that I'm going to go with INE's workbooks initially, then perhaps look at others to just add to my arsenal.

With that said, it seems the default strategy people have is to do Volume 1 , or most of it, then do Volume 2 mock labs. Another strategy I've seen is they do some Volume 1 labs , then try to do a Volume 2 lab.. and then back to more Volume 1 labs.. mixing it up a bit.

I was reading a blog post on ine.com by Petr and he offers 2 really interesting approaches.. 1 being going through all the Vol 2 labs , doing the core sections noting what you aren't strong in.. then going back and nailing those with Vol 1. The 2nd being just diving right into Volume 2 and trying it.. and then figuring out where you need work and going back to hone in on that.. essentially the same as the first, except in the first you minimize your focus to just core L2/L3 stuff.

Link: Getting the most out of CCIE R&S Workbooks VOL1 and VOL2

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on these and would love to hear what strategies they're using. I'm inclined to start with Vol 1 , but it seems really, really long and a bit inefficient.. so my brain isn't liking that idea at this stage. On the other hand, doing a lot of Volume 2 stuff first, and then analyzing big problem areas is quite overwhelming.
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plazma wrote: »
    So .. in my workbook review process, I'm also planning out my strategy to attack this behemoth of a test. I'm 95% certain that I'm going to go with INE's workbooks initially, then perhaps look at others to just add to my arsenal.

With that said, it seems the default strategy people have is to do Volume 1 , or most of it, then do Volume 2 mock labs. Another strategy I've seen is they do some Volume 1 labs , then try to do a Volume 2 lab.. and then back to more Volume 1 labs.. mixing it up a bit.

I was reading a blog post on ine.com by Petr and he offers 2 really interesting approaches.. 1 being going through all the Vol 2 labs , doing the core sections noting what you aren't strong in.. then going back and nailing those with Vol 1. The 2nd being just diving right into Volume 2 and trying it.. and then figuring out where you need work and going back to hone in on that.. essentially the same as the first, except in the first you minimize your focus to just core L2/L3 stuff.

Link: Getting the most out of CCIE R&S Workbooks VOL1 and VOL2

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on these and would love to hear what strategies they're using. I'm inclined to start with Vol 1 , but it seems really, really long and a bit inefficient.. so my brain isn't liking that idea at this stage. On the other hand, doing a lot of Volume 2 stuff first, and then analyzing big problem areas is quite overwhelming.

The best approach to pass the CCIE lab exam is to find the time to do hands on configuration exercises every single day for 1 year. Everything else is just material choices. Time is the biggest thing.