Options

The journey:from help desk to networking

NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Needing food for thought

I have worked in various roles in my career. From helpdesk to desktop support to level 1 network support. Just cant seem to break
into a junior admin/ level2/3 type of position. I have watched IT change through the years and from what I can see you have to have a definite plan of action. I have decided to go all in on the networking side. I have tried networking by going to seminars related to networking . But I just cant seem to latch on. I plan on renewing my CCNA and doing the Securty + to give my self a knowledge base to work from. Just fishing for ideas and possibly another way to approach

Comments

• Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Depends on a few things.

1. How long have you been in the networking field?
    2. What networking skills do you use at work?
    3. If your really serious, get the CCNP. That'll let you through the first defense line for companies: HR people
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    You seem qualified. Do you think it may be the area you live in? I imagine the Atlanta area to have quite a lot of competition.
  • Options
    duckduckduckduckduckduck Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've watched people struggle with this before. It's a difficult and awkward situation to create for yourself if they say "no" but pretty much you just need to ask your boss for it. If you can't convince a current employer to throw you into the fire, you'll have a terrible time of making that jump.

A less drastic step might be to see if the higher tier admins at your current place of employment are willing to pawn some duties off onto you and train you up. That way you can always jump employers with those elevated duties listed out on your resume after some time.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just trying to make the jump off desktop support. Been spinning my wheels and cant seem to get any traction. In my current job we have the basic searching for server calls. I just basically reset the cat 5 cables and reboot the media convertor box and move the call through.