Options

How do you list your Microsoft certifications on your resume?

Just curious how you guys list your Microsoft certifications on your resume. For example:

If you have your MCSE (and took the Windows Vista test as your client exam) would you list that you have your MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, and MCP? Or would you only list that you have your MCSE since the rest can be implied from that?
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine goes: MCSA MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician MCDST MCTS:Vista, Configuration Network+
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I list my MCSA, Windows 7, and MCP, because all three are standalone certs. Some uninformed employers look for MCP specifically, even now, as if having an MCSE or MCSA doesn't imply MCP. That said, although I haven't looked for jobs actively for a while, I'm seeing less and less of this. As the MCP program fades away there will not be any value to listing MCP specifically (MCSE, even on Windows 2000, will always have value, because it shows you have had high-level MS skills for a long time).

Outside of that detail, it doesn't make sense to me to list subset certifications unless they have standalone value and are not implied. For example, as I finish up my MCITP: EA, I have no intention of removing MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration from my resume. MCITP: EA does not imply Windows 7, which is a standalone cert with value on its own. But, I will not list MCTS Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, or Applications Infrastructure, because they are implied by MCITP: EA and have no standalone value for an MCITP: EA holder.

My Windows 7 logic would apply equally to an MCSA/MCSE, but it does not apply to 70-220 or 70-210, since XP and 2000 are just exams and not standalone certifications. Even technical professionals reviewing resumes don't typically care about standalone exams (I don't, anyway).

Finally, as a general rule, everything I've said goes out the window if you have over a dozen certs on a two-page resume showing more than ten years of experience. If you're an MCM, CCNP, CISSP, or anything else above MCITP:EA/MCSE, it probably isn't worthwhile to list entry-level certs. It may feel good to say "I have 15 certifcations", but practically speaking no one is going to give any extra "points" to an already overqualified candidate just because they list an A+ or every subset of their Microsoft or Cisco certs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340