Options

Just got my notice at work yesterday.

MrBretonMrBreton Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
So we received word that the government has cut the budget for our project 50%. Operating under budget for the last couple years has left us to become pretty crafty with resources but now its the end of the line.

About half of our organization will be laid off.

I guess this is my Hello message to the forum. I am going to go into full time study mode to learn the materials to pass the certification tests for the things I already know, and new things along the way. Something I am well overdue for.

Thanks for the Microsoft 70-680 links and materials (which is what led me here), and please excuse my questions while I am trying to sort this all out.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sucks, I was laid off a while ago and was out of work for about six months. If you don't have kids I would recommend a routine to get yourself out of the house every day. I had an almost two year old so it was a pain to get any studying done during the day. Don't study at home if you can, study at the library, coffee shop anything to get yourself into a routing OUTSIDE the house. I fell into a depressed rut for a month or so which is a killer when it comes to finding work.
  • Options
    MrBretonMrBreton Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    ...I would recommend a routine to get yourself out of the house every day...

Thanks a lot for the tip. Keep them coming! Fortunately I dont have kids yet (was working on it).

Also fortunately my manager is helping me out the best she can by not immediately terminating my Technet access as a learning resource. I just need to figure out how I can maximize the benefits towards classes or exams.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    MrBreton wrote: »
    So we received word that the government has cut the budget for our project 50%. Operating under budget for the last couple years has left us to become pretty crafty with resources but now its the end of the line.

About half of our organization will be laid off.

I guess this is my Hello message to the forum. I am going to go into full time study mode to learn the materials to pass the certification tests for the things I already know, and new things along the way. Something I am well overdue for.

Thanks for the Microsoft 70-680 links and materials (which is what led me here), and please excuse my questions while I am trying to sort this all out.

I am really sorry to hear that. Don't get too down on things, there are a few topics here on the forums of people being let go then finding even better work quickly.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am sorry to hear that as well. I hope you bounce back quick! Personally doing a certification right now might not be a bad idea. You could channel your frustrations and anxieties towards the material and use it as motivation and focus.

Good luck!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear that! Sounds to me like you have a plan and are focused so I suspect this will be a short period of unemployment for you. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    That sucks, I wish you the best. I had a similar situation. I was working for a startup company and then got the axe. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I had no certs at the time, but I was able to do some freelance work for a few months till I got a contract job that turned into perm. While on the contract job, that's when I got over the CCNA hump and the rest was cake.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    IEWANNABEIEWANNABE Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you prior military? If so, check out the VA... If not, ever thought about joining the Reserves?? Won't take up a lot of commitment, will pay for your exams and get you more experience and another bullet on your resume. Have you hit all of the major job boards and submitted an updated resume? What about the job centers? What about overseas opportunities? Many great jobs that pay well over 100k!

I know how you feel, after I got out of the military.. life took a turn for the worse that lasted almost a full decade. Found myself homeless, jobless, pennyless (literally), unable to pay my cs, and collecting welfare several times during that period. When I was able to find jobs, they were 5 dollar an hours jobs that would last only a few months if I was lucky... and certainly not enough to pay rent. Now, I have a great career making good money and I enjoy taking care of my responsibilities.

A few things that will help you get through... make sure you put in at least 6-8 hours of job hunting for at least 5 days a week, if not 6. Get at least 4 hours study time in daily. Someone mentioned doing that study outside of the house..perhaps the library (excellent idea!). Get some exercise..don't have to be an all-out gym assault..push-ups and sit-ups will do. Volunteer...helping others who are in a worse situation will help you put your life in perspective. Not judging here...but try to limit any alcohol or rec drugs. Lastly, communicate only with those folks who are positive! Avoid at all cost the Negative Nabobs of Negativity.

I'm sure that you'll find something soon!
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Sorry to hear it man. It will turn into better things! Keep your head up.

Good ol' Government cutting its own revenue once again. And of course still wondering how to fix the problem icon_sad.gif