Options

What it"s worth?

DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
I work for a company that highly relies on it's IT staff which includes (3) of us. It's good I can't complain.... but I want to specialize. Yes I get to have experience with Linux, XP, 7, Server 2003 / 08, Cisco, VM's, build networks for big festivals, proprietary software and basically anything else it takes to keep the system running. But I want to focus more on just the "nuts and bolts" of networking.

I took a vacation about a month ago and realized that's what I really want so I started on the CCNP: Switch. I love it. I no longer want to study crap I have no interest in even if that means no longer pursuing a 4 year degree.

Looking at my life at 31 I wonder if I am making the right decisions for the future. I have always and still believe that a 4 year degree helps you develop a career. The other hand tells me that if you don't do what you truly want to do, you won't ever be happy (which is worth more than $).

I know that developing a career takes years. However, how does one decide to go with certs and experience or degree and experience? I guess I am pondering if "grinning and bearing it" is really worth it at this point. I only have about a year and half of experience, which isn't much but by the time I earn a degree; could I have earned myself in the field that I really want with certs, hard work and dedication?

What do you think?