Options

Mikej412

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Anyone heard from Mike lately? Haven't seen him on the boards for a while.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Turgon wrote: »
    Anyone heard from Mike lately? Haven't seen him on the boards for a while.
    Thanks for posting this, I've stretched this too long already... I wanted to post about Mike several times over the past months already but kept delaying it hoping I'd actually be able to provide an answer and hoping for Mike's return. The thing is, we (I and the mods) don't know either.

Late July Mike posted in our Moderators only forum that he had major problems with power, water, and Internet connections after a major storm. He posted a few days later he was ok and the connections were restored and he was going to take a few days off to recover from "camping at home". I've seen him visit once a week later and that was the last time he logged in.

Throughout the past few months we've made several attempts to contact him but with no success. Unlike for most mods I don't have Mike's physical address. Although Mike was usually in stealth mode (not showing on Who's Online for members/guests) he was online more often than anyone else and also the most active in our Mods only forum, for 5 years in a row... Without exaggerating, he's the best moderator ever (frequently amazing us by banning spammers before they finished posting). At first we figured he was in silent-study mode for another CCIE lab attempt, but that started to become more unlikely every week because Mike always let us know if he was gone for a day. Needless to say I'm very worried as it is very unlike icon_mike.gif to be inactive for months and not let us know.

I apologize for not posting sooner about this, I just hoped he'd be back before I had to.

Johan
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hope he is ok.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been wondering the same myself. I was gone for a while as well and was surprised to see the lack of activity when I returned. I sure hope he is just super busy in a demanding top tier Cisco Architect role or something. I hope nothing bad has happened...
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Fingers Crossed :)
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    does he use the same nickname/handle on other forums ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have also wondered about this for a while. I know that he lives in the north Chicago suburbs and he is an older member age wise. Being from Chicago long ago and a Cubs fan are something we have in common. I do hope that he is well as it seems July was his last public activity.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    I liked Mikes' posts. He was really here for us like Turgon and other moderators.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I'm sure he's fine.. working long enough in this industry can make you hate the internet for personal use :D
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hope he is ok. does he use anything like twitter / facebook? maybe we could try through something like that.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    nel wrote: »
    hope he is ok. does he use anything like twitter / facebook? maybe we could try through something like that.
    We have been trying to contact Mike for nearly three months now and we are pretty much out of ideas for finding him. We never got any ICE info from him.
  • Options
    alxx wrote:
    does he use the same nickname/handle on other forums ?
    &
    does he use anything like twitter / facebook? maybe we could try through something like that.
    I wish it was that easy. Not on LinkedIN either, he didn't "like" it (see article linked to from his LinkedIn field in TE profile).
    TheShadow wrote:
    I know that he lives in the north Chicago suburbs and he is an older member age wise. Being from Chicago long ago and a Cubs fan
    Indeed, and there are many many more (also personal) details we know but we have nothing that enables us to really track him down sort of speak (yes that surprised even myself). I sent books/study material for example to other mods but Mike always passed it on to the next mod/member on the list.

Again, it's all very unlike Mike, even just to be gone for longer than a day and even more rare to do so without giving us a heads up. Last time he wasn't active for more than a day was when his favorite cat (the one that looks like his avatar) passed away. He's the only one with Super Mod permissions, a very appropriate group name (you've all seen only half of his dedication to TE as much was transparent to regular users/members). Not replying to our attempts to contact him, obviously expressing our worries, especially after keeping us up-to-date in detail when that storm hit late July, I just cannot explain with any logic other than situations that I rather not think about at all - all I can really do is hope he's ok. In his last post he cheered about his 4G broadband connection being back to the usual strength allowing a connection inside so I doubt he suddenly started hating the internet as suggested above.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's sad to read this, i hope everything is well for Mike. He is a strong member of TE community!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope he's okay.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Time for JDMurray and others to bust out some forensics and etc. Trace back his IP from his last several posts and start tracking him back! This is where Abby from NCIS would come in handy...
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    effekted wrote: »
    Time for JDMurray and others to bust out some forensics and etc. Trace back his IP from his last several posts and start tracking him back! This is where Abby from NCIS would come in handy...

+1

Time to start googling "mikej412" to find other content where this handle may be in use and take it from there.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i don't think there's a person who has visited this forum that hasn't been touched in one way or another by mikej412's kindness and dedication to all things techexams. hopefully all is well for him.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mike is a standup guy. Like the rest of you, I hope he's doing alright and just got sucked up into WoW or something.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hope that mikej is part of his real name and not an allusion to Michael Jordan (being from Chicago and all.)

My prayers are with him and I hope he comes back if at the very least just to say he's ok.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope he's okay as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow, I'm deeply saddened by this post. I really hope Mike is ok!
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    ***BUMP***

I been wondering that lately too...haven't seen him post in awhile and was hoping he is ok.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just stumbled upon this post. I met Mike back in 2007 at the CCIE lab in RTP. You might want to reach out to one of the lab proctors and see if they can reach him. The exact date was May 18th 2007 in RTP. Mike and some others waited around to see if I passed (I did) and we all took the shuttle back to the hotel.

HTH!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikeeo wrote: »
    I just stumbled upon this post. I met Mike back in 2007 at the CCIE lab in RTP. You might want to reach out to one of the lab proctors and see if they can reach him. The exact date was May 18th 2007 in RTP. Mike and some others waited around to see if I passed (I did) and we all took the shuttle back to the hotel.

HTH!

Im not sure they will be able to give away such information.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im not sure they will be able to give away such information.

True, but you can have them reach out to him.
  • Options
    auosauos Member Posts: 186
    I hope he's okay too.
  • Options
    mikeeo wrote: »

HTH!

Some good advice. Maybe also an SOS on groupstudy might help. I think he is a member there, and also working in Chicago for a cisco partner so perhaps the cisco support forums. I imagine hes pretty well known amongst the Cisco community in that city, particularly on the Voice side.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    This may not be a particularly popular opinion... but hey, I can take any criticisms you may want to throw my way.

If Mike's not in the forums, it's cause he doesn't want to be. Unless any of you believe he's actually dead (in which case, yes, I'll feel very very stupid), then there's no plausible reason that Mike can't, in three months, put a post up in the forums.

Whatever you're doing, Mike, I hope you're enjoying it. We miss you.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    mikearama wrote: »
    This may not be a particularly popular opinion... but hey, I can take any criticisms you may want to throw my way.

If Mike's not in the forums, it's cause he doesn't want to be. Unless any of you believe he's actually dead (in which case, yes, I'll feel very very stupid), then there's no plausible reason that Mike can't, in three months, put a post up in the forums.

Whatever you're doing, Mike, I hope you're enjoying it. We miss you.

Very possible. People do suddenly decide not to do certain things anymore. That is entirely upto them. I made 5000+ posts because I wanted to but never earned a cent from it and have no obligation to do so. Same for Mike.
  • Options
    We cannot exclude anything simply because we don't know. Based amongst other many things on 5 years experience with Mike and the situation he had the week for his last visit (see my previous post) I unfortunately do however have reasons to believe there's a chance he's not able to to let us know, besides it just not adding up with has last posts (see my previous posts) and his dedication and well in general... I certainly don't expect anyone to assume that same opinion I have but well... I'm personally 200% sure if Mike was able to contact us or wasn't in one way or the other too occupied with "off-line" matters that require his full-time attention, he would. But yeah, anything is possible, and anything is better than the worst scenario.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    We cannot exclude anything simply because we don't know. Based amongst other many things on 5 years experience with Mike and the situation he had the week for his last visit (see my previous post) I unfortunately do however have reasons to believe there's a chance he's not able to to let us know, besides it just not adding up with has last posts (see my previous posts) and his dedication and well in general... I certainly don't expect anyone to assume that same opinion I have but well... I'm personally 200% sure if Mike was able to contact us or wasn't in one way or the other too occupied with "off-line" matters that require his full-time attention, he would. But yeah, anything is possible, and anything is better than the worst scenario.

In which case its probably safe to assume that Mike has a life event on his hands which requires him to disconnect. If he is alive he may or may not return as on that basis he has more important things to deal with.

Edit 12-12-2012, by Webmaster: I'm locking this thread for now to prevent any needless speculation that we cannot confirm due to a lack of info. If we find out anything I'll reply to this thread.
This discussion has been closed.