Options

Leaving a mark...

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
I guess you know you've left your mark on an organization when you go back months later and a senior VP/C level executive still recognizes you.

I was back at my previous employer today, as a customer. While I was there, I decided to go say hi to a few friends and former co-workers. On the way back out to the parking lot, one of the Senior VPs, who's also the COO, saw me, and stopped to talk.

I knew I'd left on good terms, but I didn't expect anyone outside of the people I'd worked with every day to remember me. It felt good to find out I'd accomplished some things while working there that people remember me for.

Anyone else experience anything similar, or perhaps the opposite? What kind of mark, if any, have you left at places you've worked?

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I guess you know you've left your mark on an organization when you go back months later and a senior VP/C level executive still recognizes you.

I was back at my previous employer today, as a customer. While I was there, I decided to go say hi to a few friends and former co-workers. On the way back out to the parking lot, one of the Senior VPs, who's also the COO, saw me, and stopped to talk.

I knew I'd left on good terms, but I didn't expect anyone outside of the people I'd worked with every day to remember me. It felt good to find out I'd accomplished some things while working there that people remember me for.

Anyone else experience anything similar, or perhaps the opposite? What kind of mark, if any, have you left at places you've worked?

An employer I left over a year and a half ago, I still speak with my manager daily. I've gone into visit and even the CEO has come out to shake my hand and say hello. It's a really nice feeling that you were liked that much at a job.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if you ball up a sock and put it in another sock and hit them with that it tends to not leave a mark,

no marks, no lawsuits
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The dean of a major university that I worked at asked to keep in touch when I decided to move and quit supporting them.

She also wrote a letter or recommendation for me which I feel like could be useful. A very nice letter from the dean of the university that I'm graduating from and worked at has to mean something doesn't it?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My manager from my last job which was only a few months due to the contract being a mess contacted me via LinkedIn last week. She asked me if I was interested in a job saying she could use me for a position. She said the last contract imploded and everybody left and filled me in on some other details. She said she had an opening she thought I would be a good fit for but I told her I was happy where I was at. And just this weekend another manager I used to work for contacted me about a firewall position. Feels good to know you left a good impression.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMHO You should at every job.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    IMHO You should at every job.

I agree, however you may not always be aware of if you have or not.
  • Options
    duckduckduckduckduckduck Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was the schadenfreude of hearing about how poorly your replacements have done in comparison? It's like being appreciated after it's too late ... bwa haha

I guess that really only applies if you felt like you were especially undervalued or unrecognized in said role - which probably happens more in IT than anyone would like to admit (everything is working great so the IT guy must not have anything to do).
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    I agree, however you may not always be aware of if you have or not.

This is true.

I keep Linkedin with all my former managers and co workers. At least I try, kind of hard if they aren't signed up. I usually get recommendations from them on my Linkedin page and emails offering recommendations anytime I need them. I know what you mean though. Getting recognition from a C level is very nice.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Hate to dig up an old thread, however I wanted to weigh in on this....

The REAL boost to an ego is when they have to hire 2-3 OTHER people just to replace you and get the job done that you did. I had to go on medical leave with my current company due to some health concerns, and they now have 3 people hired in my place to do the job that I did. Unfortunately, I don't know what I have to go back to when all is well, however it's kind of nice to know that I did the job of 3 different people. I am/was the Manager of Information Systems, however, I was the ONLY IT person at the company for a year and a half. I setup the company from the ground up.

I also have kept in contact with my old boss from 2 years ago. The CFO (my boss' boss) knew who I was... and wants me back. I will probably go back if my current employer doesn't need my services.