Options

Best cities for technology jobs

2»

Comments

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrRyte wrote: »
    If I can't get a job after getting my A+ and CCNA next year then I'm definately moving northward to either of those places.

BTW; I DON'T recommend the Houston area. Though the cost of living is comparable to other Texas cities, the traffic is HELL just about all hours of the day....icon_sad.gif

LOL and you want to go to Dallas? Yikes. Good luck getting away from traffic.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    If you're driven, have great soft skills, and maybe a couple contacts, you can get a job anywhere. I'm an American working in Germany that had no formal education and didn't even speak the language. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence in most peoples eyes. There are positives and negatives to every city. I've seen apartments outside of San Francisco at a very reasonable price. I've seen plenty of job postings at almost all of the major cities in America. Pessimism is a characteristic that seems to plague forums all too often.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sieff wrote: »
    How easy is it to obtain a clearance in D.C? I had one when I was active military, but that's been over 10 years now. Also, jobs would clearance would likely be government ... Are the salaries comparable? At this point in my career I can't except any positions under the $100K mark.

Regaining your clearance isn't too hard assuming your records are clean (no drug, felony, bankruptcy) and you have a marketable skills such that companies are willing to sponsor you. Jobs are from gov't contractors and gov't. $100k jobs are pretty easy to find, especially if you have TS/SCI or higher (there's $10-20K premium for individuals with TS/SCI or higher).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IEWANNABE wrote: »
    I knew a couple of guys who car-pooled from PA to Chantilly everyday.

That's pretty brutal commute. Sounds about as bad as people I met during the dot com boom who were commuting from East of Sacramento to San Jose (3.5 hrs each way).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Collegeville, PA all pay well and there are a lot of jobs.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Collegeville, PA all pay well and there are a lot of jobs.

I'm looking precisely in these areas and can't find crap! If you have some suggestions for me I'd gladly appreciate it. Feel free to pm if necessary.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Working in the bay area here. Still live with parents
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    David1981David1981 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know what the job market is like in Nashville?
  • Options
    okplaya wrote: »
    I'm looking precisely in these areas and can't find crap! If you have some suggestions for me I'd gladly appreciate it. Feel free to pm if necessary.

What exactly are you looking for?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    What exactly are you looking for?

I've been looking for something involving Cisco routing and switching as that is what my experience consists of. I think the biggest hurdle is finding something permanent. I'm doing contract work now, but would prefer something permanent. I've been looking at some NOC jobs, as they seem to require less experience than others (I only have 20 months IT experience).
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    what do you guys think of Indiana/Indianapolis?

I'm moving there on summer, Ive read is a city that is a state of growing up.
    meh
  • Options
    okplaya wrote: »
    I've been looking for something involving Cisco routing and switching as that is what my experience consists of. I think the biggest hurdle is finding something permanent. I'm doing contract work now, but would prefer something permanent. I've been looking at some NOC jobs, as they seem to require less experience than others (I only have 20 months IT experience).

I won't say that there isn't competition, but once you start building your experience some more it should get a lot better. I remember it was tough the first year or two, but once I got about 3 years under my belt it got better. There are a lot of opportunities out there, but also a lot of available candidates w a lot of experience. You can see the number of openings on Dice, Careerbuilder, etc. Good luck though. I'm sure you'll find something.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    David1981 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the job market is like in Nashville?

Well, while I was up there going to school prior to graduation and looking for work it wasn't too bad. There were quite a few open positions at some places (HCA is a mecca there) as well as a few other healthcare companies. If you are in Nashville, try looking for Healthcare companies...you will have better luck looking in that area. Also, got some leads from a staffing company.

In addition, Vanderbilt...well, Vanderbilt Medical Center actually had quite a few positions available, but I didn't have the experience and knowledge so excluded be quickly..although it did take them a minute to respond back and say I wasn't qualified...lol
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    I was surprised not to see Atlanta mentioned at all. I have had no problems finding jobs here since I moved here.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    many IT jobs in the dc metro area.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    djfunz wrote: »
    If you're driven, have great soft skills, and maybe a couple contacts, you can get a job anywhere. I'm an American working in Germany that had no formal education and didn't even speak the language. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence in most peoples eyes. There are positives and negatives to every city. I've seen apartments outside of San Francisco at a very reasonable price. I've seen plenty of job postings at almost all of the major cities in America. Pessimism is a characteristic that seems to plague forums all too often.

I would love to get an IT job in the EU but figured it would be hard to get a work visa. How did you get your job in Germany? PM me if you want. I have 4 years of French and figured I would learn either German or Dutch to get a little ahead of the crowd.

If I stay in the States I will either move to Seattle or Denver after I finish my BS/MS.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    djfunz wrote: »
    If you're driven, have great soft skills, and maybe a couple contacts, you can get a job anywhere. I'm an American working in Germany that had no formal education and didn't even speak the language.

I'd be curious to know what kind of work your doing and for what sort of company (ent., smb, contract, etc.).
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness