Options

max number of files in window 9.x root directory?

JohnRedcornJohnRedcorn Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
what is the max number of files(or entries) in win 9.x root directory? Fat16 and Fat32.

Comments

• Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Huh!? what files are you talking about? please elaborate.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    JohnRedcornJohnRedcorn Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    system files, I think. I have two conflicting sources that say 255 and 512. Nobody came across this question before?
  • Options
    pjii28602pjii28602 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The max. number of files allowable on the root drive is 512. That means that when you are at the DOS prompt ie: c:\ and you type the command c:\dir to list the contents of that drive there can be no more than 512 entries or files. This limitation applies only to the number files located directly on the root drive. The number files within any given folder has no effect on this limitation.... I hope this answers your question.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    pjii28602 wrote:
    The max. number of files allowable on the root drive is 512. That means that when you are at the DOS prompt ie: c:\ and you type the command c:\dir to list the contents of that drive there can be no more than 512 entries or files. This limitation applies only to the number files located directly on the root drive. The number files within any given folder has no effect on this limitation.... I hope this answers your question.

Nice reply :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?