Options

Business major to IT field, future career prospects?

rwb964rwb964 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have found a great amount of helpful resources on here.

I am an International Business major with a Bachelors from a 4 year University.

To strengthen my resume I have done marketing, finance and research internships.

I have figured that I wanted to have some IT skills under my belt.

I now possess a ITIL Foundation V3 certification and now working towards taking Security+ 301 next month.

After have a Security+ certification, what would be my options regarding a career path? I assume start as help desk, but what other routes can I take? for example, some positions I am interested in are like being a Cyber Warrior/Defender and Business Analyst.

I can set up routers, LAN, WAN or VPN networks, mitigate risks, etc. Just a decent basic knowledge of networking and malicious attack prevention.

I am also studying SQL on the side.

So my main question is I would like to ask for you professional opinion from your experiences. Am I on the right path?

thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    CiscoKiddCiscoKidd Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First let me welcome you to the site rwb964!!

Second, if you can set up routers, WAN, LAN, and VPNs, and mitigate risk, you have more than a basic knowledge of networking.

Third, I personally am not familiar with the requirements for a Business Analyst but as far as a "Cyber Defender" then it would see you are on a good path knowledge wise. The first step into IT for the majority of people is on the help desk for a few yrs. While on the help desk, you can kind get an idea of where you want to go with your career. If you want to work on Security, then you'll have to find out what area of security you want to specialize in as security is extremely broad. It would appear you want to work in Network Security based on your networking knowledge. I'd say work on your Network+, then try to secure a help desk position. After you've gotten your feet wet doing that, then maybe look towards the CCNA, SSCP, or maybe the new CompTIA CASP certification. After that, I'd say look at more Networking and Security certifications but that would be a good place to start.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    rwb964 wrote: »
    some positions I am interested in are like being a Cyber Warrior/Defender

This involves uber linux, typically. Look into Backtrack (modified linux OS [metasploit, nmap, ettercap, wireshark, hydra, etc.]) and start learning CLI if you are serious about cybersecurity.

Everything sounds decent so far...you'll just have to convince that first company that you are worth taking a risk on because at this point, companies mitigate risks with hiring people new to the field.