Options

Developer or Admin first?

MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

After taking an introductory database class at my college, I'm strongly considering a career in databases (specifically SQL server). Being relatively new to databases with no SQL server experience, should I learn the "Developer" side first as opposed to the "Administrator" role, or vice-versa? I was told by someone that learning the "Developer" side of SQL server first is better since admin will make a lot more sense once I know T-SQL and how to develop databases. What do you guys think/suggest?

In addition, I've also seen numerous training-videos online on SQL server. Any recommendations on these videos or other training material. I'm kind of confused as to where and what to start studying, so any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That must have been one interesting class :)
    MAPL wrote:
    I was told by someone that learning the "Developer" side of SQL server first is better since admin will make a lot more sense once I know T-SQL and how to develop databases.
    Was that someone maybe a "developer" himself? Sure you need to learn SQL if the goal is "a career in databases" but I'm curious, what led you to believing you need to make such a choice (admin vs dev) at this point? Are you planning any additional traditional classes?
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    That must have been one interesting class :)

Was that someone maybe a "developer" himself? Sure you need to learn SQL if the goal is "a career in databases" but I'm curious, what led you to believing you need to make such a choice (admin vs dev) at this point? Are you planning any additional traditional classes?

As I stated, I'm not really too sure where to start and what to study if I wanted to be a DBA. Just thought his tip made sense that if I'd learn how to develop first, admin would come easy. I guess they are totally different....pardon the ignorance icon_sad.gif

Now that I got that out of the way, if I wanted to be a DBA should I study T-SQL first or jump right into admin books? The books that Robert posted here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sql-server-exams/52826-mcitp-dba-2008-resources.html seem to be geared towards people who are experienced. Any recommendations on SQL Server books for beginners?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From the perspective of someone just starting out the Admin exam is probably the easiest. I'd start with the DBA Survivor book that I suggested in the resources thread. To be honest, depending on your experience you might actually want to start with the MCITP Server Admin exams before you start on the SQL Server track. I firmly believe that every "Production DBA" (i.e. a DBA who deals with the nuts and bolts of SQL Server administration and not so much the development side, should have at least the knowledge encompassed in that exams requirements. Having a firm foundation in Windows Server administration is very important.

If you have been working as a sys/server admin for a while I would give yourself about 6 months to study for the first exam. Take your time and really master the information. Once you complete the MCITP DBA exams give yourself just as much time or even more to get the DB Developer exam (just the first exam) down. The developer exam is hard and I have seen experienced DBAs criticize it as having some stupid questions. It's heavy on XML so make sure you have a very good understanding of XML as it relates to SQL Server for the developer test.

So, my advice is jump right into the admin books. Maybe get the SAM's publishing SQL in 10 minutes to accompany them.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Leave the and condition out of the statement and go with or.