Options

Port Numbers: The three different types

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a question about port numbers.

Currently,I am reading about how there are three different types of port numbers that IANA ( The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) has standards for.

Well known port numbers ( Numbers 0 to 1023) These are reserved for Service and applications.

Registered ports (Numbers 1024 to 4951) These port numbers are assigned to user processes and or applications

Dynamic or Private Ports ( Numbers 49152 to 65535) These are usually assigned dynamically to client applications when initiating a connection.

My question is this. I have Well known ports section down pretty good. Example I know Port 80 is a connection-oriented protocol and uses TCP where DNS port is 53 and uses the UDP Connection-less protocol . How deep should study the well known port numbers ?

Please advise.
Patrick
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any stuff I had was related to the well known ports. I've only taken ICND1 so Im not sure if there is anything else on ICND2.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of the knowledge really comes into play when you start making ACLs and play with firewalls.

But I'd say know FTP, TFTP, DNS, SMTP, LDAP, SMB, SCP/SSH, POP3, SSL/HTTPS, HTTP, NTP, etc.

And DNS can use both TCP and UDP. Again, when talking from the perspective of firewalls. not writing a policy/ACL to allow both, can create problems depending on your network architecture.

And if you were to look at a dialog/exchange, you can see how the well known ports and dynamic/registered ports work. A perfect example would be to look at a http exchange.

If you have GNS3, you can open wireshark and check it out. Or you can try it in packet tracer.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Example I know Port 80 is a connection-oriented protocol and uses TCP
    Just a word of advice: develop a habit of always pairing port number with protocol name, e.g. "TCP port 80", otherwise you're not fully and unambiguously defining the port. It always ticks me off when I see it in the field ("I opened port 12345 on the firewall..."). Port 80/tcp is a TCP port, and hence connection-oriented, but 80/udp is connectionless.

And as mentioned above, DNS uses both 53/udp and 53/tcp
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs