New Job - Help Desk

lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just got a new job as a service desk technician, and I'm wondering what type of behaviour usually results in you moving up from help desk into level 2 and network team etc...? I heard that if you do too well in a help desk role, they might keep you there for long because you are doing such a good job? What do you think?

Comments

• mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Possible, but if you work at such a place, asks yourself if you really want to work there. Some managers will try to keep you working for them as it can make their team, thus themselves, look better to upper management.

If you do a good job, you should have opportunities to advance your carreer.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    It's true - if you excel at helpdesk you may be pigeon hold. However - it really depends on the company culture
  • fredmoogiefredmoogie Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sometimes showing eagerness, willingness, motivation to learn new technologies, especially in network/system admin side goes a long way. try to take some microsoft/cisco certs and prove to your employer you got what it takes to move onto the next stage. if all else fail within, search outside
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fredmoogie wrote: »
    sometimes showing eagerness, willingness, motivation to learn new technologies, especially in network/system admin side goes a long way. try to take some microsoft/cisco certs and prove to your employer you got what it takes to move onto the next stage. if all else fail within, search outside

+1

I would also like to add a response to the OP first comment/question. Making decisions out of fear is a worthless method of living. Do the best you can and get a few certifications to show your willingness to learn. One Cisco and one Microsoft should set you straight. Getting one of each [MS/Cisco] gives you more leverage and whether a system admin job opens up or a networking admin or anything inbetween you will be covered. One thing I have found out is that you can aim yourself towards your goal, but sometimes you get into another part of IT. EG you set out to be a network engineer and end up being a system admin. It just happens so prepare yourself for that possibility.

Good luck
  • lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys :D
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Work on your skills, certifications, and degree if you don't have one. If you don't move up with two years, move on. Until then, just keep improving and show that improvement at work as if there is a promotion waiting for you.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340