I took some advice from you guys and it worked

W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
Everybody was saying in a previous post that I should be applying for a helpdesk or desktop position and to move on from my current position doing tech support for Dell. I was pretty much told that after 6 months my experience in a job like that would get less valuable so I decided to start applying for other positions. I just got the job offer for an Entry level Linux tech support job pay 26000 a year. It's the first job I've ever had that pays salary and it's about what I'm making at Dell but the experience is going to be a lot more valuable. I'll be support POS systems. They deal with a little bit of SQL which I've never had a chance to work with but employers seem to want you to know. They also deal with networking as well. They say they support pretty much everything which is the kind of job I've been looking for because it will allow me to learn a lot. They said they could only bring on one person and I never thought I could get a job other than a call center job where 100 people were being hired. I think this is definitely going to give me a different perspective of myself.
Being a sys admin sucks but I love it

Comments

  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,915 Mod
    Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shagismshagism Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, congrats! Good for you
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Awesome.

    To keep this techexams focused, this obviously means that you should look into Linux+, completing CCNA, and doing an outstanding job. After a year or so working on POS, you'll be ready to move on. I had a former coworker who supported POS for Wal-Mart, and he got lots of experience, but he wound up doing lots and lots of work, in order to get that experience. It's a great building up opportunity, to groom you for even better opportunities.

    Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yay for us not being stupid
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    Awesome.

    To keep this techexams focused, this obviously means that you should look into Linux+, completing CCNA, and doing an outstanding job. After a year or so working on POS, you'll be ready to move on. I had a former coworker who supported POS for Wal-Mart, and he got lots of experience, but he wound up doing lots and lots of work, in order to get that experience. It's a great building up opportunity, to groom you for even better opportunities.

    Hope this helps!


    I think I will probably go ahead and finish up my CCNA and this job is only going to help me with Linux+.
    Being a sys admin sucks but I love it
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Plan on moving on if you can't move up within 18-24 months.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Congrats! Plan on moving on if you can't move up within 18-24 months.


    Thanks for the advice, I definitely will.
    Being a sys admin sucks but I love it
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    W Stewart wrote: »
    Everybody was saying in a previous post that I should be applying for a helpdesk or desktop position and to move on from my current position doing tech support for Dell. I was pretty much told that after 6 months my experience in a job like that would get less valuable so I decided to start applying for other positions. I just got the job offer for an Entry level Linux tech support job pay 26000 a year. It's the first job I've ever had that pays salary and it's about what I'm making at Dell but the experience is going to be a lot more valuable. I'll be support POS systems. They deal with a little bit of SQL which I've never had a chance to work with but employers seem to want you to know. They also deal with networking as well. They say they support pretty much everything which is the kind of job I've been looking for because it will allow me to learn a lot. They said they could only bring on one person and I never thought I could get a job other than a call center job where 100 people were being hired. I think this is definitely going to give me a different perspective of myself.

    Well done I am happy for you. Take this baby and run!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yay for us not being stupid

    Nice one lol!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Senior Member Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good for you, sounds like a nice opportunity.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Good for you, sounds like a nice opportunity.

    Linux and SQL has my full undivided attention ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! These gigs where you get to touch a little bit of everything are great; they can expose you to different areas that you may realize you want to specialize in later on, and building a base of all-around knowledge with different types of equipment, software, and operating systems early on might you on a faster track to something more lucrative than some of your peers.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    W Stewart wrote: »
    Everybody was saying in a previous post that I should be applying for a helpdesk or desktop position and to move on from my current position doing tech support for Dell. I was pretty much told that after 6 months my experience in a job like that would get less valuable so I decided to start applying for other positions. I just got the job offer for an Entry level Linux tech support job pay 26000 a year. It's the first job I've ever had that pays salary and it's about what I'm making at Dell but the experience is going to be a lot more valuable. I'll be support POS systems. They deal with a little bit of SQL which I've never had a chance to work with but employers seem to want you to know. They also deal with networking as well. They say they support pretty much everything which is the kind of job I've been looking for because it will allow me to learn a lot. They said they could only bring on one person and I never thought I could get a job other than a call center job where 100 people were being hired. I think this is definitely going to give me a different perspective of myself.

    Where are you located in Tampa? I'm in South Florida and I'll leave if I can find something over there, my salary is about = to you but I'm not in I.T. What's your skillset?
    Ribs still touching....
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can get "some" Linux experience I would take the opportunity and run with it. Do Linux server labs on your own and get really proficient with it. Good luck
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    First of all, congrats. Definitely agree with blargoe, this jack of all trades role is great and will help you see the big picture when you take roles later on that are more specialized. Plus it will expose you to areas that you may not have known you were interested in. Lastly if you bust your rump and learn everything you can, your next job could potentially pay a much higher salary.

    Best of luck in your new position.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where are you located in Tampa? I'm in South Florida and I'll leave if I can find something over there, my salary is about = to you but I'm not in I.T. What's your skillset?

    Yes I am in Tampa but I don't think this place has the best job market for IT. Orlando seems to be much better. I never even really planned on going into linux but I learned it just incase since opportunity is few and far between. I'll most likely end up moving to the Virginia DC area after a few years just because the market for IT seems so much better.
    Being a sys admin sucks but I love it
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Did they mention any of your certs in your interview?


    congrats btw
    Currently Working On

    CWTS, then WireShark
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Did they mention any of your certs in your interview?


    congrats btw


    Not that I remember. I believe the networking certs might have caughttheir eye and the part on my resume that said I had basic knowledge of the linux command line.
    Being a sys admin sucks but I love it
Sign In or Register to comment.