Options

Changing Job after one month

2»

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I would almost never say this, but I *might* not even give a notice, or at least not the two weeks. You're probably not going to be listing this place on your resume, and no one here is a person you would ever use for a reference. Whenever the new company wants you to start, start then, and then let your current management know, and tell them it's because your co-worker is a total a**hole and is not allowing you to do your job.
    I would still give notice. If you tell the new company you can start immediately without giving notice, they may worry that you'd do the same to them, giving them second thoughts. I've had interviews where I've been asked when I could start, and after responding that I'd need to give two weeks notice, the interviewer said something like, "if it was any less, we wouldn't hire you." And who knows, the current place might just ask you to leave immediately anyway.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would still give notice. If you tell the new company you can start immediately without giving notice, they may worry that you'd do the same to them, giving them second thoughts. I've had interviews where I've been asked when I could start, and after responding that I'd need to give two weeks notice, the interviewer said something like, "if it was any less, we wouldn't hire you." And who knows, the current place might just ask you to leave immediately anyway.

thought of it too. thanks
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you tell the boss your reasons for leaving. This excluding gimp sounds like he needs a good talking to.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Okay Cisco guys, I didn't mean to stereotype. :D I know there are some of you with tons of systems experience, knowledge, and skills. I was making the point that someone who is clearly qualified for a position should be allowed to do it.

You'd better ;) I, for one, am a damn fine Unix administrator, and better than the majority of the ones I've met (I still let folks who are qualified to do so touch my systems though... lord knows I have better things to do with my time than do every little task at work that I know how to do)
  • Options
    EbeleEbele Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hope the new job( If you go to it) doesn't turn out to be worse.

All the best.
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ebele wrote: »
    Hope the new job( If you go to it) doesn't turn out to be worse.

All the best.
    i pray so but at least i will be doing exactly what i'm certified to do.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nethacker wrote: »
    i pray so but at least i will be doing exactly what i'm certified to do.

Isn't that what they told you at this job?

Jobs really belong to the employer and most job descriptions have an other duties as assigned clause so I don't think you have a lot of room for complaint there. If I was an employer and in this job environment that was the reason you gave for leaving your last position I would chalk it up to you being whiny and circular file your resume. In addition jobs are social environments and sometimes it takes a little time to get a new guy settled in. Especially if his being there disrupts a previous system or causes someone else to have to switch duties. I would talk to your supervisor and say that you need better definition of your duties before jumping ship. If that doesn't resolve the issue then give notice chances are they won't keep you around for the two weeks anyway.

On the other hand. - This is an era of contract employment, employers are used to seeing short stints on resumes.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    1. I agree with this statement somewhat. Why hire me if I am not going to do what you hired me for?
    2. Warning: Don't lump us all together :D. Some of us Cisco guys have been around the block and can remember the day when you literally had a PDC box, it wasn't an "emulated" role that was grandfathered into AD. I worked at a past job where I had to make sure the customer's router interfaced properly with the ISP, make sure the customer's PIX connected properly on their VPN's, make sure their workstations connected to their database, and all the clients had email. Oh yeah, maintained their mail server too, and their AD. And their backups. And their wireless. And their PDAs. And their antivirus. And their fax. And their scanning. I mean to say, it was medical clinics, so we'd sell them a practice management app, and salespeople then somehow convince them to handover their entire IT infrastructure to us. That job title: Network Engineer.

Have to agree and disagree with point #2. I agree because I was (and still somewhat am) a windows admin in my previous role. I am fortunate that I have been allowed to keep my access credentials to customer servers because for most Networking people, we are restricted to network devices only (which can make troubleshooting a bit of a pain at times). The company justifies this because a large majority of our Network personnel are just plain OS stupid. They probably wouldnt know where to go or how to add IPs to a server (especially on server 2008 where the new IP is lower than the primary IP where you need to use netsh and specify skipassource flag to true).

I at least know my way around Windows servers extremely well given my previous role and while still very much a newbie on linux, I know enough to troubleshoot connectivity issues and add IPs which is better than probably a good 90% of the other network personnel we have on staff.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    buzzkill wrote: »
    Make sure you tell the boss your reasons for leaving. This excluding gimp sounds like he needs a good talking to.

This seldom does much, except make you feel better. Complaints have to be VERY serious (e.g. ethics violations, literally criminal behavior) to have any impact on the way out. In most exit interviews, you're just considered another embittered ex-employee venting.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers