Options

Re-apply for Position

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Background - back in the summer I applied for an in-house position for an Exchange Engineer. The skillset required was experience with Exchange, Windows Server, AD and Windows SME. Plus need to be DoD 8570 Level II compliant. So I have 5 of the 6 criteria. I had an interview with the manager, and she wasn't really concerned with my lack of Exchange experience (in fact she said I would pick it up quickly). I thought the interview went very well, sent the obligatory "thank you" email to her that same day. And never heard back. The position closed, then about a month and a half later it posted again. I re-applied and never heard back. Since the second re-posting, it has been re-posted about 2-3 more times.

I'm really interested in the position but seeing is how I applied once and got an interview (but no "call back") and then re-applied but no response, should I apply again or just not worry about it?
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Step back and think about that for a second... It's an Exchange Engineer position, how can lack of Exchange experience not be a concern? Having 5 of the 6 items on a wish list is usually good, but not when the 1 item you're missing is the main focus of the job. If it was a Systems Administrator, or AD Engineer, or Windows Engineer, etc., I could see lack of Exchange experience not being an issue... but for an Exchange Engineer, it's a huge issue!

I'd not worry about it.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Many organizations keep applications and resume on file for around a year, but from my experience they generally do not reconsider previous applicants for the same position. This is not always the case, but I would suspect that since they closed the position and re-posted it a month later they may have already evaluated previous candidates and decided to go with a fresh pool.

My gut tells me you may need to not worry about it and put your energies towards another position. You could however send the hiring manager a polite email asking to be considered for the position or reach out to the HR department to find the status of an application. One last resort, and I have seen it yield results, is to work with a head hunting firm who may have better luck landing you in front of the decision makers for a second time.

Good luck
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    If you have your CISSP, you are DoD 8570.01-M IAT III/IAM Level III qualified (which is exceeding the criteria for the position). The fact that you were not selected may have been due to some other evaluation criteria that you did not meet, or something entirely subjective and outside of your control. The fact that it is an Exchange Engineer position and you do not have this requirement may be the deciding factor against you.

I have been in this position before and just accept it as part of life. They have your résumé and can always contact you. The point is not to get discouraged, realize that there is always other opportunities out there, and move on.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks guys. My thought as well was just walk away from it
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS