Should I encrypt all of my storage devices?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So I'm a road warrior thanks to the US Military, and can say I've lived in four locations this year (Missouri, Georgia, Minnesota and now South Korea).

I probably should have asked this earlier, however I was wondering if anyone else travels and if so, do they encrypt all of their storage devices with saying something like True Crypt?

The reason I ask is that in case a storage device is lost or stolen, it would be harder for them to access.

I know that one of the downsides is that it slows performance of disk, and that would be not so good for the 1 TB portable storage device that I have.

Any ideas on this?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I just kept it with me every time I had to move. I never let the movers take it, always packed it up myself and kept it locked up in my vehicle, along with anything else I felt was important enough to do that with. I let the movers handle the rest of the household goods though.

On overseas deployments, I never took more than a laptop with me. Everything else stayed locked up in my dorm room when I was single, or at my house when I was married.

Really you should segregate your data. Keep anything sensitive on encrypted storage, and don't worry about encrypting the rest. Documents don't take up a lot of room. Do you really need to encrypt your music or movie files? Does that game you like to play need to be encrypted? Nope.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    Really you should segregate your data. Keep anything sensitive on encrypted storage, and don't worry about encrypting the rest. Documents don't take up a lot of room. Do you really need to encrypt your music or movie files? Does that game you like to play need to be encrypted? Nope.
    I agree with this, with some exceptions. If the data on your laptop is extremely sensitive, I would do full disk encryption. If someone has un-monitored physical access to your laptop and it is not encrypted, they could install a keylogger or something of that nature and intercept passwords as you type them in, thereby gaining access to your encrypted files. (Similar methods are possible whether you use key files, certificates, biometrics, etc.)

But if you're not dealing with military intelligence, segregated encryption of your more sensitive data using TrueCrypt should be fine.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I was shipping or sending my device with someone else I would encrypt it. Otherwise, I would simply keep the drives with me during my move. I do keep the flash drive that is on my keyring encrypted.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    if you have windows 7 ultimate you could use bitlocker and bitlocker togo while moving and once moved you can remove it

http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/bitlocker-and-bitlocker-to-go/
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: